Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email attachments & media player videos

• Please log in to reply

TURTLE777

TURTLE777

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I going to give my old computer to my nephew. I have viewed things through email attachments and videos through media player, but have never downloaded anything to my computer. I just want to make sure my nephew will not be able to access anything. Are any of these images still on my computer. If so, can I erase them? I have heard about a program called cccleaner. Is it safe to use?

Thanks
turtle777

Edited by TURTLE777, 05 March 2012 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
ccleaner does not do what you are talking about. and I recommend before using that sort of program you have some expert guidance.
As for what you are wanting to do, there are erase programs out there that will work, but I guess you have to determine how much trouble you want to go to.
I use a DOD program that makes it very secure, at least to gov't standards to wipe a drive, this makes it very difficult for anyone to recover anything from there. But this also wipes the system out requiring a reload.
If I were giving it to a family member and just not wanting them to access my personal stuff. I would delete the account information in email, clear all history and temp files from the internet browser, you can do this easily enough, if using Internet Explorer, just open it and go to >tools >internet options, find the delete button and when you click on that, you will seee several options for clearing cache, history, and so on.... clear them all.
After you do this, and have deleted everything from documents folder, then go to control panel, create a new adminstrative user, and log out and log back in as the new user, and then go back to control panel and delete your old user, then go to windows explorer and find the old user profile and delete it from there, that makes it pretty hard for him to find anything.

TURTLE777

TURTLE777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cotutor,

Delete account information in email? What do you mean by that? I have deleted all temp files and history files. Nothing in documents file as I dont dl anything to computer, just open attachments to view.

Thanks
turtle777

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
I'm sorry, I wrongly assumed that when you were talking about viewing attachments that you were using an email client like Outlook Express, if you are using webmail, just ignore that comment about deleting account info.