Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Determine what Service Pack is on Laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Yaquigirl

Yaquigirl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am going to be purchasing a Windows XP Home Edition (version 2002) in order to REPAIR my laptop. When I look at the sites to purchase, they list the Service Packs as 1, 2 or 3. I want the EXACT same thing I currently have on my old laptop. How or where can I find this information.
I have a Toshiba Satellite M55-S139. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

Hope you do not mind me coming in here, I was actually preparing my answer, before you posted.

Yaquigirl
From your other topic where RKinner was helping

I have a Toshiba Satellite M55-S139 laptop/notebook. (Yes its old!) This laptop came preloaded with OEM Version of Windows XP Home edition (2002), so obviously I have no CD/DVD to repair. I have a RECOVERY disk, but I do NOT want to recover, I want to REPAIR. I also do not want to upgrade, as I understand an upgrade will also erase all my files, etc. I am willing to purchase a Windows XP Home edition repair disk, but what exactly should I be getting? Do I need a RETAIL COPY of Windows XP Home Edition OR do I need the OS (operating system disk) only? I have contacted Microsoft and Toshiba and since this is an old laptop with 2002 version of Windows, they haven't been able to help me. Can anyone here just point me in the right direction. I am desperately trying to save files, pics etc on my laptop and am totally confused.

PS I am way past trying other methods to correct this problems. I just need more insight as to what I really need to purchase. Thanks in advance. YG

I feel reasonably certain that you are going about this the wrong way. I appreciate exactly what you said in the above post on your other topic, especially the sentences I have emboldened and underlined.

You would I think be better, advised to see if you could get a boot and a recognition of that exisiting installation with tools that RKinner sent you and a Recovery Console download if the Recovery Disc you have does not include the Console. -

Especially in view of the wish to save etc on your post that I have listed in red.

AND possibly most Importantly, there is a very reasonable chance that the CD you purchase, may indeed not get you the result you want on a TOSHIBA laptop. You may well find that it will, depending on the nature of the CD not even offer you a REPAIR

Here is your other topic link
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

on which incidentally you never responded to the post by our colleague RKinner on 2 Feb

No, I understood you can't get into Windows.

You need to get a friend to download and burn the CDs for you if you don't have a second PC.

The messages you see in Safe Mode aren't errors. They are just Windows showing you what it is doing. The last one you see before it reboots can sometimes tell you where the problem is.

Yaquigirl

Yaquigirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well it looks like I will have to run the Recovery CD that came with the laptop. I cannot log on to my computer at all...it still just loops at the windows screen. I don't have an alternate laptop to download the boot. I had someone back up my files, pics, videos, to an external hard drive, but if I reinstall windows from the recovery disk, I understand I will lose all my programs (microsoft word, etc) that I loaded long after I purchased the laptop. That was the reasoning behind my thoughts on purchasing an OS disk.

I am so lost and confused! Thanks for your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't share your documents with anyone you could try Open Office. It will read all Microsoft's documents but Microsoft Office can't read Open Office documents.
The nice thing is Open Office is free. :thumbsup:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ron, OpenOffice will let you save files in the .doc format. Also since Office 2007 SP2 they can open OO files as well (apparently, I have not tried this myself).

Also Yaquigirl if you have purchased and loaded a copy of Office after buying the computer then you should be able to load it again. Do you not have the install disc/product key?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Any other computer will make the Recovery Console CD and I would have thought that the "apparently slight difficulty" in finding someone to do that for you, was worth the effort.
Especially as IF IT does get you back into Windows, you will NOT have need for either the Recovery CD you propose using OR the other one that you intended to purchase.

There is ALSO indeed a chance that the laptop MAY have a SOFT recovery on a hidden partition.
On many branded laptops Toshiba included I think, that option does exist
I am NOT saying that it does on yours..

HOWEVER if you MOST positively cannot get a CD burnt for the Recovery Console, then bearing this in mind as well

PS I am way past trying other methods to correct this problems. I just need more insight as to what I really need to purchase. Thanks in advance. YG

There is I think little we can do, to assist other then as my colleague rshaffer61 has suggested and to help you if you need it, when you come to proceed, however you decide to do so.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yaquigirl

As it is now some 16 days since you last replied, I wondered how you were progressing on this issue.
Would you kindly update the thread when you get chance.