Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can my drop down list (validation) populate adjacent column?

• Please log in to reply

minimania

minimania

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

Basically I am trying to create a drop down list that then when an item in the list is selected the adjacent cell is populated by a value associated to the item selected.

For example,

I have a list of people in one column and their ages in the next column to the right:

John 12
Ian 15
Craig 20
Sam 17

Then on a separate sheet I create two cells one above the other that allow me to select a person from the list in each of the cells, what I would like is for the cells to the right of these "list selection" cells to be populated with their ages so that I can then do a "Sum" of what the total age of the people I have selected is.

Any ideas, responses gratefully accepted!

TIA

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello minimania :welcome:

I was able to come up with what you want. The instructions are for your list in cells A1:B4 on Sheet1. On Sheet2, create a dropdown "list selection" cell with the following for the List Source:
=Sheet1!A1:A4

After that, on the column to the right, use the following formula:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:B,2,FALSE)

Where A1 is the "list selection" cell. This is basically telling Excel to look up the value in A1, in the Sheet1!A:B range, and return the second column value from the matching row (which is the age of the selected person).

Regards,

Ax