Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to access data on crashed notebook HD

• Please log in to reply

leuig

leuig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Hard Drive crashed, and The Dell Tech Support said to buy a HD Enclosure, to access my data on the HD. I did, and when attempting to access the HD Files, it says it needs to be formatted, which will destroy all of my DATA!! NO! I attempted to run chkdsk on the HD, and it says the file type is RAW, and cannot run chkdsk. What else can I do? or have I lost everything?? HELP!!!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You cab try this program TESTDISK it helped me a couple of times to recover data from HD that were said to be RAW
http://www.cgsecurit...stDisk_Download

Here is a brief description of its features,

TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
TestDisk can
Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
Fix FAT tables
Rebuild NTFS boot sector
Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
Fix MFT using MFT mirror
Locate ext2/ext3 Backup SuperBlock
Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3 partitions.
TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

leuig

leuig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I appreciate the link to the program. However, I am a novice, and I have no Idea HOW to use it!! LOL! Can you give some advice?

leuig

leuig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
HAHA, Now I see the photo.rec_Win file..... I ran it, and it says that The disk has Bad Sectors, and it didn't restore any files. Is there a way to get around this? The Drive Shows that it has 14GB worth of Data on it, so I know SOMETHING is there. I just don't know how to get to it.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First thing is to creat a folder called backup in the TESTDISK folder: (Please take note that I am using version 6.11 so if any screen is different then I am sorry)

Second start the program and choose the HD in question out of the list

[attachment=56472:GTG 01.jpg]

Choose the Intel partition table and choose Analyse, it will then tell you there is no partition found

[attachment=56473:GTG 02.jpg]

Do a quick Search and it will analyse your HD and list what it finds

[attachment=56477:testdisk 08.JPG]

Choose a folder to copy and Type C and then choose the folder where you want the folder to be copied.

[attachment=56476:GTG 05.jpg]

Repeat the process for any other folder you want to copy.

Hope this will help you

leuig

leuig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When analysing the partition, it keeps giving me "read error" at xxxxxx/xx. basically it says each cylinder is unreadable, i think. When I run the photorec.exe, it says there is a read error at each sector.