Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Services.exe slowing down Win XP laptop

• Please log in to reply

skypilotpete

skypilotpete

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have an older Toshiba Tecra S3 laptop, and it seems that Services.exe is really slowing everything down. It continually cycles from between 12% to aroung 45% of CPU, and I would like some help to track down what is behind this. I have run Process Explorer, and the CPU reading is next to Services.exe, and none of the svchost.exe or named items below it show any CPU activity at all. When I look at the Services.exe properties, in the "Services" tab, the only one listed is Plug and Play. When I look at "Threads", there are 3 active threads listed, which continually cycle up and down from 0% to around 18%. The only information next to the three active threads is Start Address: kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22 . I don't have sufficient knowledge to know how to interpret the information displayed on this page. Can anyone help me?

My System:
Toshiba Tecra S3
Windows XP Pro 2002, SP2
Pentium 1.86Ghz, 800 MHz, 2GB ram.
Windows firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials.
Regular manual scans with Superantispyware, Malwarebytes.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Download CCLEANER

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

Please download MINITOOLBOX When the box opens click save file, save it to the desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

Flush Dns
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND POST ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED!! :)

I want to make one thing very clear DO NOT use the registry cleaner function of ccleaner!!

Edited by rockmilk, 09 March 2012 - 06:49 PM.