Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Disconnects

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
My Mom's work is having some issues with their network connections and I was looking for some help. It's a non-profit so I don't think it will violate the TOU's.

There are two buildings about 75 yard apart connected by a wireless network using a Netgear wireless extender. The extender in my Mom's office is connected to an 8 port switch that handles 4 wired computers. The problem is that randomly throughout the day they lose connection. It appears that the only way to re-gain the connection is to reboot the PC. I wrote a batch file for them to run in hopes of getting me some more information when this happens. The batch file does the following:

• Displays ipconfig /all
  • Pings the router
  • Releases the IP address
  • Renews the IP address
  • Pings www.google.com by DNS name
  • Pings www.google.com by IP address
  • Runs ipconfig /all again

I'm attaching two of the outputs in text files below. The weird thing I'm seeing is that when the address is renewed, even though the computer gets an address from the DHCP server (FSV-318 v3) it still can't ping the gateway. Keep in mind that the DNS server is their Domain Controller.

Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 06 March 2012 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello there!

My Mom's work is having some issues with their network connections and I was looking for some help. It's a non-profit so I don't think it will violate the TOU's.

The TOU section you refer to is meant to prevent PC shop owners coming in to the forum and "living" off of our expertise. So you're right if you say this won't violate the Terms of Use. :)

I'll need to know a bit more about the network to think about.

• You say they have a DHCP server and a Domain Controller (with DNS), these are separate machines?
  • And if yes, do they reside on the same network switch?
  • Are both buildings having random disconnects?
  • Do you think you could draw a network topology of how the network looks? (would make things easier to understand)
Regards,
Olrik

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Hello there!

The TOU section you refer to is meant to prevent PC shop owners coming in to the forum and "living" off of our expertise. So you're right if you say this won't violate the Terms of Use. :)

Thanks for the help!

I'll need to know a bit more about the network to think about.

• You say they have a DHCP server and a Domain Controller (with DNS), these are separate machines?
  • And if yes, do they reside on the same network switch?
  • Are both buildings having random disconnects?
  • Do you think you could draw a network topology of how the network looks? (would make things easier to understand)
Regards,
Olrik

• They are using a Netgear FSV-318v3 as the DHCP Server and the DC is acting as the DNS Server and a File Server.
  • From what I can tell, the FSV-318 and the DNS Server are on the same switch, but I haven't gotten into the other building yet to verify. I'm just assuming this is the case because the FSV-318 is only 8 ports and my mom told me there are more than 8 computers / printers in the other building.
  • As far as my Mom knows, it's just her building.
  • I hope this attachment helps. I haven't gotten in the other building yet because my mom forgot her keys to that building when I was there.

Thanks again Olrik

Attached Thumbnails

• Network Configuration.JPG

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello there!

What kind of access do you have to the gear? Are you allowed to look into the configurations and such?
If so, could you take a look at the Wireless sender and see on what channel it is sending?

Something else you should check is the receiving end, Is it getting enough signal? Or is it perhaps saying the signal is too weak?

Has this setup worked before? Or has it always been unstable?

And last but not least. Do you perhaps have a smartphone with android on it? If yes, take a look at the "Wifi Analyser" app and see if there are any other networks in the area.

Regards,
Olrik

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hi Olrik,

I don't see why they wouldn't allow me access to the equipment, but I'll have to ask and see what they say. I don't want to stop on the toes of the current IT company they use which has billed them thousands of dollars and can't solve the problem.

I do not have an Android, but I do have an iPhone.

The setup is new as of a few months ago when they built my mom and her employees a new building. My understanding is that it had never worked properly. They had outgrow the old building so they put up a new one across the drive lane from the old building. I would have much rather seen them go wired for the connection, but the wireless is what their current IT company suggested. :rolleyes:

Over the weekend, my mom said they all went down for about 2 hours on Friday and she called over to the main building and they weren't having any issues so it seems to be isolated. The unusual thing is that sometimes it's her entire office that gets dumped and other times it's only one computer. I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello there!

I see. I agree with your statement saying you would have much rather seen them go for a wired solution. ;)

See if you can find a wifi analyser type app for the iPhone. On my android phone it has helped me solve wireless issues dozens of times. :thumbsup:

Seeing as wireless is quite susceptible to influences like the weather and materials it has to pass through in order to get to the receiving end. If the signal is weak to begin with then rainy weather can cause disconnects.

Something to try is placing the transmitter on a higher level than the receiver.

Regards,
Olrik