Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

popuper.exe, Smitfraud, and other problems

• Please log in to reply

Greystone7

Greystone7

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay. First...If I'm posting in the wrong spot, I apologize. I litterally just happened upon this forum five minutes ago, read 1 post, and decided it couldn't hurt to ask. :tazz:

I'm having several problems, all of which --unless otherwise indicated-- have begun in the last 24 hours, and none of which I've been able to fix thus far.

1. Popuper.exe & Shnlog.exe.
--I've recieved error messages concerning both of these programs immediately after I try to shut-down the computer. I've searched and found popuper.exe (haven't searched for the other yet), but I'm unable to delete/remove it. I ran a search and tried to use a product called RegRun to remove popuper.exe, but it was, well....truth be told, I just didn't understand half the stuff the program was saying, and simply removed the trial package from the PC.

2. My desktop now reads that IE has experienced a fatal error (I can't specify what's after that, as the message has shrunk for some unknown reason and I'm unable to read it), and that the error was caused by Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c Thus far, I've been unsuccessfull in any attempts to find or remove said Trojan, but I am unable to alter my desktop image from the aforementioned warning.

3.I've got an annoying little X icon in my taskbar that tells me my computer is infected every twenty minutes like clockwork. It's driving me quite mad, and I have no idea what it is or when it got there during the Trojan-Spy calamity that happened last night.

And now for an old one (or two).
Despite MANY attempts, I've been unable to remove the following programs in control panel:
-Home Search Assistent
-Search Extender

(I thought there were 4, but those are the only two there now. )

And lastly, I've got an InstallShield icon that keeps popping up, despite removing/deleting any and all other InstallShield references I could find on the blasted computer.

Sadly, I have no logs or other details to give at the moment to assist anyone in dispensing advice to fix these problems, but I thank whomever can lend a hand anyhow.

Thanks. ;)

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
although i m not a seniour member till now .. but welcome to GTG .. :tazz: .. looking for your problem ;)

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.Even the best antispyware programs are only able to remove about 70% of infections. Also, the line between spyware and trojans is getting blurred. You can never be too careful with these, I recommend at least one online scan.

Now, REBOOT in Normal Mode and have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan, and Moosoft.

REBOOT.

Then we'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool HijackThis(save in C:\HJT) and post a log as a new topic in the HijackThis Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Greystone7

Greystone7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will do, and thanks for the speedy response.