Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Motherboard should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Unfortunately I'm in Panama now & I don't know if I should buy a MB from here or what.

I bought a new video card & had it sent in & it won't work with the old MB. The MB really does need to be changed too since everything else has been changed (memory, HD, power supply), but I don't know if I have the money right now.

The video card has to be changed ASAP, it's about ready to blow. I've been holding on by a thread with the old one.

I called the computer store recommended by expats & the guy isn't there. The girl told me they have Astrok (?) MBs & they are $68. Has anyone heard of that one, any good?

Which MBs are the best so I can search prices. Problem is I can't wait for it to be shipped in. I have to take the computer in now. I'm seeing pink on my screen now.

It was recommended to update the bios settings to accomodate the new video card, but if they screw it up, I'm out a MB.

Thanks

Michelle

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Michelle K

Can you provide a list of the components that you have at the moment and in particular the MB, add on video card and the new add on video card.

I called the computer store recommended by expats & the guy isn't there. The girl told me they have Astrok (?) MBs & they are $68. Has anyone heard of that one, any good?

Did they mean ASRock http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, here is this...

http://speccy.pirifo...N8VtnPG8Emk4OhV

And the new video card is a Gigabyte HD 5450

I really have no idea if that's what she meant. Her English isn't fluent & I spelled her what I thought she said & she didn't correct, me, then it wasn't until she spelled it out herself that I realized she was giving me a different spelling.

Let's assume that's the brand.

Thanks

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please provide your replacement power supply details, note your replacement video card requires a PSU with a minimum 400W output http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3335#sp

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Unfortunately I never wrote it down & I don't want to open the case again. I did open it before I purchased the video card & I believe it was 400 W b/c I called Gigabyte & they said it was fine.

Thank you

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you uninstall the previous video card drivers before fitting the replacement add on card?

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No, he didn't.

But other geeks on other forums are saying I have to update the bios settings, so I doubt just uninstalling the drivers would do it.

Since I'm not a geek, I was hoping someone would help me do this by staying on the phone with me (I'm too scared to do it by myself.)

No one wants to help by allowing me to call them just in case I make a mistake :(

Please don't send me videos, I need my hand held for this dangerous transaction. It's one thing to remove malware, it's another to screw with your MB & bios settings.

Thanks

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No, he didn't.
This must be done or the new card will not have the correct drivers to function and so will not work.

But other geeks on other forums are saying I have to update the bios settings, so I doubt just uninstalling the drivers would do it.
I do not know what you have read and so cannot comment other than to say that updating the BIOS is always a last resort as if it goes wrong it can render your motherboard unusable so this is dangerous - installing drivers is not.

Since I'm not a geek, I was hoping someone would help me do this by staying on the phone with me (I'm too scared to do it by myself.)
Sorry but no assistance is offered other than on the forums, this is in the best interests of both staff and members, it also enables others to learn.

No one wants to help by allowing me to call them just in case I make a mistake :(
See above.

Please don't send me videos, I need my hand held for this dangerous transaction. It's one thing to remove malware, it's another to screw with your MB & bios settings.
BIOS settings I agree but uninstalling old drivers and then installing new drivers with our written guidance is straight forward.
Thanks

Michelle

Due to other commitments I am offline until Saturday AM UK time when I will be more than happy to walk you through the correct procedure for installing your new video card, that said a colleague or other member may come in meanwhile and do this so you do not have to wait.

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Before doing that, can you verify that that new video card will work with my old MB.

There's no point in trying this if it won't.

Thanks

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi,

Before doing that, can you verify that that new video card will work with my old MB.

There's no point in trying this if it won't.

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle

To turn your question around can you verify that it will not work?

From the details that you have provided two things are apparent 1: you did not install the new video card correctly 2: the PSU details you have provided show that it it is the Minimum required for the card and that is assuming that the PSU is a quality brand such as Antec, Corsair or Seasonic!
Both of the above are very good reasons as to why the card did not work, I also would not be so presumptuous as to say that what I suggest will 100% make your new video card work, what if it was DOA?

I can only advise you as to how you should install your new video card correctly and I am more than happy to do so!

Advertisements

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I was just told that the drivers are supposed to be installed AFTER you insert the new card, but if the computer wouldn't even boot up, obviously the drivers weren't the issue.

1. I didn't install the video card, someone else did & I'm pretty sure he placed it in correctly.

If the PSU was the min. required, I'm not understanding why that would be a reason for the video card not to work.

Thanks

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
1: Save the drivers for the new video card to your desktop.
2: Uninstall the previous video card drivers using the proper uninstall tool or procedure.
3: After shutting down the PC and disconnecting the power cord from the wall socket remove the present video card and fit the new video card.
4: Make sure the inside the case is free of heat trapping dust and that all internal connections are secure.
5: Reassemble the computer and then power up.
6: Install the new video card drivers that you previously saved to your desktop.

Please see Perform a fresh install of a new graphics card into a new system @ http://support.amd.c...ATIProduct.aspx

A process of elimination is often required to resolve computer issues and ensuring video card drivers are installed correctly is far easier than swapping out a PSU only to find that there is nothing wrong with the PSU, if it was an obvious PSU problem swapping it out would always be suggested first but that is not the case here.

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

So I finally found someone I could hire to help me via the phone. After it taking almost 2 hours of work, not only did the new video card not work, the old one wouldn't either. At least now I sort of know how to remove & install a video card even though it's really hard to do.

I then had to rush to find a store I could sort of trust in this country which trust me, is asking a lot.

I found one, he tested it & said it's the MB, NOT the video cards.

I had to rush buy a new MB from New Egg. The kid who helped me on the phone told me I did NOT have to replace everything in my computer if I bought a similar MB & he found me one.

Smart cookie.

So after some delays, they finally put the new MB in today & I had the guy put in the old video card which seems to still work & then finally place the new video card in since obvsiouly I paid for it & it should be better than the old one.

But then I had tons of stress with all the drivers as I wasn't given the right CD. I had to hire him again to help me & after 1.5 hours, we got her up & running including the sound & mice issues. PHEW.

Now it looks like I have to fiddle with the monitor settings as everything looks too white & washed out.

So in the end it was the MB. :(

Now I have to go deal with over 3,000 e-mails as I've been offline since last Monday night.

Thanks & take care

Michelle

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Michelle K
Thanks for your update and for sharing how the issue was resolved, I am sorry to hear that it took a new MB and hours of stress to resolve it though.
If you require tips on your display settings see http://windows.micro...help/windows-xp
Enjoy your upgrades and the knowledge that you can now swap out a video card :thumbsup:

Michelle K.

Michelle K.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
LOL, yes, NOW I'm an expert ---- NOT :)

Thanks for the URL. I don't think tha twill help with my Samsung monitor, but maybe it has something with re: the speakers as the sounds isn't the same as it was before.

I had another drama with MS today. 2.5 hours later & I now think I understand why there's an OEM copy of Windows on my computer instead of the retail copy I purchased. Redoing the activation key was causing problems. The warning has disappeared, so let's cross our fingers.

I hope she doesn't fail on me, otherwise I'll have to reformat & that will take DAYS <sigh>

Just curious, the guy from the Philippines said that a client of his mentioned there's some cloud where you can store your software so you dont' have to install new software the long/hard way or if you lose it, you know where you can get it.

Do you know what his client was referring to? He said he would call his client, but I don't know if he's going to e-mail me the name. We got disconnected in the end.

Hope you are having a pleasant night.

Michelle