Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply going bad?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

On my Compaq Pressario SR5601P - I hit the on/off switch close together accidently. I couldn't get it back on and the back light near the power cord was blinking. I did the hot hair dryer blower back in thru the cooling fan for 1 to 2 minutes then the light goes solid and you can turn it on then. The other morning I found the light blinking again. I didn't know if my house power had flickered and caused the problem. I did the hot hair dryer deal and computer came back on. Last night I know I put the computer to sleep and this morning the back light was blinking again. It came on with hair dryer.

So - do I have a power supply problem or is it something with the Sleep program that's causing problems?

I appreciate your help.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

To make sure the readings are correct please do the following also.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Thank you for your assistance.

I believe I have both programs on my desktop. I can not run both programs at the same time for it will freeze my computer, giving it a multi-line pattern repeating over the whole screen. I have to use the power button to restart computer.

Before adding these programs I noticed something else. When left alone my computer will go into a screen saving mode, not fully asleep. It takes a LONG time to wake up. Often the images on the screen will freeze and after a while the regular screen will finally come back. I didn't know if this might help diagnose my computer issues.

The requested information is below. Note the two dates.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

bamakodaker

* # * # * # * # * # * # * # * # * # * # * # * #
3-1-12

SPEED FAN
HDO (250.1GB) at $00 msg : Error reading SMART attrs fr
CPU Usage 4.8 %

Fan1: 1863 RPM
Fan2: 1102 RPM
FAN3: O rpm

gpu 0c
Temp1: 34C
Temp2: : -128C
Temp3: 13C
HD0: 0C
Temp1: 13C
Core: 0C
SENSOR

OEM_MB IVY8 value min max
vOLTAGES
VIN0 1.68 V 1.68 1.68
VIN1 1.69 1.69 1.69
VIN2 1.54 1.54 1.54
TEMPERATURES
THRM 16 c 13 c 23 c
TMPIN0 34 c 34 c 35 c
TMPIN2 16 c 12 c 23 c
FAN
FANIN0 1840 rpm 1835 1867
FANIN1 1100 1090 1113
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Core #0 36 C 30 C 38 C
Core #1 36 C 29 C 37 C
3/20/12

SENSOR

OEM_MB IVY8 value min max
vOLTAGES
VIN0 1.68 V 1.68 1.68
VIN1 1.69 1.68 1.69
VIN2 1.54 1.54 1.54
TEMPERATURES
THRM 16 c 15 c 26 c
TMPIN0 37 c 36 c 38 c
TMPIN2 15 c 15 c 27 c
FAN
FANIN0 1863 rpm 1854 1882
FANIN1 1111 1108 1123
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
Core #0 33 C 31 C 41 C
Core #1 32 C 31 C 41 C
SPEED FAN
Found Hitachi HDP725025GLA380 on AdvSMART
Found ADPI temperature
End of detection
CPU Usage 1.4 %

Fan1: 1882 RPM
Fan2: 1124 RPM
FAN3: O rpm

gpu 0c
Temp1: 37C
Temp2: : -128C
Temp3: 13C
HD0: 32C
Temp1: 13C
Core: 9C

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok the sensor readings are not telling me what I need to know so please post the screenshots of both programs so I can actually see the readings.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
First run of programs attached.

bamakodaker

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan3-1-12.jpg
  • HardMonitor3-1-12.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Still not showing me the sensors I'm looking for. You might try going into the bios and seeing if the sensors show in there.
What I am really interested in seeing is the +3.3 and +12 volt readings.

Also I see one temp that is really high which could indicate a heat issue.
When was the last time you opened the system and used a can of compressed air to blow it out?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Current readings attached.

I see you asked further info. I apologize for not knowing how to do what you requested. I'm open to all suggestions so if you want to direct me how to find those needed readings - - - -

Opened the case? I've gotten into my Win 98 computer but I'm not sure I've gotten into this Vista computer - which I've had a little over a year now. I did clean off the side vents which did not have much dust on them. I know that doesn't account for what's going in but anyway, that's all I've done.

bamakodaker

PS - wrong date for one image attached, both from today.

Attached Thumbnails

• HardMonitor3-10-12.jpg
  • SpeedFan3-20-12.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a laptop or desktop?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Desktop - Compaq SR5601P

Windows Home Basic
Service Pack 2
Model - SR5601P
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30GHz
Memory 1.00 GB
32 bit Operating System

Memory Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed: PC2-6400
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Frontside Bus Speed: 2000 MHz

Thanks,
bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then you would need to take the panel on the left off as you are looking at the computer from the front.

First before you do that is there a warranty still in affect for the system? If so do not open it as it may void your warranty.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
LOL
Love that warning included! :)

Oh - just take the panel off he says! I got to find a place to put all the junk neatly stacked over the computer (it's not blocking the air though), then move things around so I can get the computer turned sideways then take off the entire, one piece cover! Soooo hang on a bit! :)

After the cover is (ahhhhhhh GREAT - paper avalanche! Ahhh I'm sure it wasn't in that great of order anyway~!:( )
then what to do?

bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How does the inside look? Is it dusty especially paying close attention to the fans.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Really it's quite clean. The very front part of the inside bottom could use some dusting but there is nothing on the board of components that needs cleaning off. There is a fan on top of a heat sink, putting a flashlight up close and at the correct angle I can see thru the fan blades - I'd like to clean those sink fins off.

When I started searching for help with my problem, in some forum I'd heard mention of someone being able to see some blistering on some items that let them know they did have a problem. Is there anything I should check?

Is now the time to switch to my laptop and turn the PC off?

Thanks for your help.

bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the inside is fairly clean and the fans look like they are not gummed up then I would say the issue is not heat.
I still am worried about not seeing the voltages I mentioned earlier. That would tell me for sure if it is a PSU issue.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
So what do I need to do to find the information needed?

bamakodaker