Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply going bad?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well - I remember looking at the screen and saw something like 14% done and thought, 'this will take a LONG time'. I went to the store, came back, it was back to regular log-in window. Then I saw your post. There was no DOS window or any flag that I've seen. I did try the eventvwr.msc but got back - 'Event Log service is unavailable'.

What to do next?

[email protected]

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go ahead and rerun it again and if you can watch as it finishes for the results.
It may or may not have found anything but at least this way we can be sure.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
11:20AM restarted, check disk begun

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

11:20AM restarted, check disk begun

:thumbsup:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well I just did some work on my laptop while it ran the Check Disk and I caught this - -

Stage 1 0 verifying fiies
0 bad file records process
0 EA records process
76 reparse records process
Stage 2 - verifying indexes
0 unindexed files processed
Stage 3 - verifying security descriptors
271872 security descriptors processed
28564 data files processed
35997960 usn bytes processed
Stage 4 - verifying file data
271856 files processed
Stage 5 - verifying free space
30097684 free clusters processed
free space verification complete

Then it brought up another screen, I looked around for my cell phone to snap a picture and when I looked back, it was gone. A screen came up saying process complete. Didn't show if problems were found or not. Went on to regular login.

Somewhere after that the computer went back to my original issue. Here is what I've noted with my issue though, I do not have problems while the computer is fully awake and in use. I do not believe I have any problems when the Screen Saver program is active. The computer does not awake quickly from Screen Saver mode. The problem occurs when the computer goes to sleep. After the two runs with Check Disk I was using my computer, went away from it to make supper and when I came back the rear light, by power supply, was blinking. I did the hot hair dryer thing and it's working again. So - I can get my computer to work but I don't want to have to go thru these hoops. I really wish there was a way to correct this issue. Could it be narrowed down to programming are a hardware issue related to what ever happens when computer goes to sleep?

I appreciate your time and suggestions.

bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The problem occurs when the computer goes to sleep

To be honest with you I hate sleep and hibernation modes. They tend to be more of a pain then anything. If you set it to not go to sleep and just have the screen saver when you are not using it, does the issue still happen??

went away from it to make supper and when I came back the rear light, by power supply, was blinking. I did the hot hair dryer thing and it's working again. So - I can get my computer to work but I don't want to have to go thru these hoops.

I still think this a heat issue or the power saver issue. Since it works after you cool it down I am leaning more toward that. Is the system hot to the touch at the power supply when this happening?

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'll try setting it to screen saver only to see what happens.

Now - the hair dryer thing. I learned this online probably under 'computer will not stop, blinking light, hair dryer'. The weird thing is you use the hair dryer on HOT ! You don't put the dryer right up to the fan but hold it a couple of inches away. I've had the light turn solid after anywhere from 30 sec to about 2 minutes with hair dryer.

I've seen mention of ATX issues and on and on. It's really weird that this issues goes across computer brand names and, as it review other's problems with this online, that there doesn't seem to be (or no one's found) one source for this issue.

I appreciate your time. I'll report back with sleep mode turned off.

bamakodaker

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 12 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.