Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable device found

• Please log in to reply

bubbly173

bubbly173

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a HP Presario CQ61 Notebook PC, The hard drive crashed and so I bought a new one, installed it and then purchased the recovery CD's from the manufacturer and I went into BIOS to change boot options and yet I still get this message. Please help. I don't know what else to do with it and quite frankly I'm ready to throw it out the door. I don't want to put anymore money into this thing.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I am sorry you have waited for a reply, longer than we would wish.
This is due to the vast number of posts on the site.

At what stage do you now receive this message. Did the O/S apparently install OK on the new drive.

Which Windows is it please
Vista and edition
7 and edition.

bubbly173

bubbly173

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I still get the same reply. I finally took my computer to a local computer repair shop and they said that the recovery disks that the manufacturer sent to me are not any good. It is for windows 7 64bit.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well, sorry you had to resort to the repair shop.
We may well have established that when you provided the details from the base of the laptop on what was installed and what were the recovery discs.

Sorry again we did not get to you in time to help

bubbly173

bubbly173

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The repair shop didn't fix it, they just said that my recovery disks are no good. So I called HP back again and they are trying to tell me that it is not their disks it is my computer. :( They refuse to refund my money and are refusing to send me out another set of disks. Is there anywhere I can get another set of disks for free? Thank you for all your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What are the titles please on the discs from HP

Is the new hard drive seen in the BIOS please

No bootable device message is normally when you are trying to boot from the hard drive or any other device that does not have a boot loader installed.

The recovery discs from HP should be a bootable disc.

You put the DVD in the optical drive, you commission the optical drive as first boot device in BIOS saving those settings normally F10 to save and exit OR if the post screen is followed by press any key to boot from CD you do that.

bubbly173

bubbly173

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the hard drive is seen in the BIOS screen. The disks are: System Recovery DVD Windows 7 Recovery Media for windows 7 Products 1&2, and Application and Driver Recovery CD. I set the CD ROM as the default start up instead of the hard drive. That didn't work either.

Edited by bubbly173, 13 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Use the recovery disc to restore the PC by following the steps below.
  • Insert the recovery disc in the optical disc drive and start the computer. If the computer is running, insert the recovery disc and immediately click Start and select Restart to force the computer to start from the recovery disc.
  • When prompted, Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key on the keyboard.
  • Allow the recovery disc to start and load the required files while the Microsoft loading screen is displayed. It may take several minutes to load the required files.
  • When the HP Recovery Manager window displays, click System recovery .
If you cannot get a boot from that disc, then EITHER the disc is not being read correctly, fingerprint on it, or the optical drive is not working, OR you are not in fact booting from it, but attempting to boot from either the hard drive or another drive.

IF the message is NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
bubbly173

As it is now some 9 days since your last post I wondered how you have progressed.