Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scren fails to start

• Please log in to reply

danefarina

danefarina

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just wondering if someone could help me out. My computer screen doesnt turn on when the computer is booted up. I am just wondering whether there are some setting in the bios that may need to be changed. Its Intel Pentium 4, not sure on the motherboard but its all fairly new. The computer starts fine and everything but u usually have to reset it a few times to get the screen to pick up the input.
Thankyou
DAne

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
When you get this problem, does the rest of the system start as normal ie do the keyboard lights flash once just after powering up?
do you hear one beep from the system speaker that indicates the POST test completed ok?

Also, what power supply do you have (brand name & power in watts)?

danefarina

danefarina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The actual PC works fine. The problem is the LCD screen doent recieve any input when the computer starts the first time. If the computer is restarted once or twice (with the restart button) the screen registers and come on and everything runs fine. Its just annoying having to restart the comp everytime just to get the screen to recieve the input.
Its as though the computer has come out of standby but the screen wont come on.
I hope this helps some more
Thankyou

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I realise the pc works fine most of the time, but when you get this problem, how do you know for sure its still working if you can't see the display?

If you are still certain the PC is loading upto windows even when theres no display, I suggest you try another monitor maybe. Normally, if the problem is with anything else, such as the PSU, video card etc, the system won't fully boot.

Just checking, but is this a laptop or a desktop PC?

danefarina

danefarina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is a desktop computer, i will try another monitor on the computer and see if it makes any difference.
I will get back to you

danefarina

danefarina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tested the compter with a seperate screen and the problem still exists with a standard moniter. The computer was build by me but i cannot work out where the problem is coming from.

The full specs of the computer are:
Intel Pentium 4, (520) 2.8Ghz
Intel D9159GNL ATX
512 DDR400
Western Digital WD360GD
NVIDIA G-Force 6200

The computer needs to have to restart button pressed numerous times for the computer start-up properly.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What power rating is your PSU and do you have all 3 power connectors attached to the motherboard?

danefarina

danefarina

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah it is a P4 power supply, the case and PSU was bought new recomended for the PC. When the computer was first built all the power supply plugs werent used but i had trouble with this and was told to ensure they were all pluged in (only ever built AMD pc's its a little different). Could their be damage from this??