Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High CPU Usage when searching in Google and Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Fabian Jorge Pugliese

Fabian Jorge Pugliese

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It's the strangest thing and it only happens on one of 4 computers I have, so I know the issue is with this computer, but I don't know what it is.

Now before you say "Well or course your CPU usage is going to go up", hear me out.

The computer lags mostly when doing a search not only in Google, but also Yahoo. As you start typing in the search window, and it looks for what it thinks you are looking for, it starts to lag to the point that anyone that types 20 WPM gets annoyed because letters and even spaces are missing. I have deleted cookies and files. I have removed all the toolbars and anything else I think the laptop doesn't need. I have even rstored the laptop to the earliest date I could find. As I am typing this, I am looking at the Windows Task Manager. Although there is only one application in the Applications Tab (Internet Explorer), I notice 87 processes running in the Processes tab, with the CPU usage on what sems like a rollercoaster ride from 9% to 100%, and the Physical memory at a steady 58%, just by typing this post (??).

Even typing this post is annoying because I have to look up at the screen at every other word to make sure there are no missing letters and/or spaces. I don't know if it's lag. When I proofread, I place the cursor at the beginning of the post and use the right arrow to move across and down each line and it doesn't lag. Another thing I noticed in the Processes tab as I type and when I was scrolling with the cursor was that I have two iexplorer.exe's. One is iexplorer.exe*32, one using 8040k and the other one using 237,824k, the latter mostly at the top of the list when I click on the CPU tab.

I hope this information helps and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

87 processes is a bit too high, my PC has between 40 - 60 depending on what I'm doing.

I would urge you to do a spring clean on your PC.

1. Remove applications you don't use.
2. Run a disk clean up.
3. Disable some start up items (Start -> Run -> msconfig -> start up)
4. Disable some services (Start -> Run -> msconfig -> services -> hide all Microsoft services)

If you need any help or advice on what you are disabling, let me know. Always remember to play it safe.