Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Flash Drives will not plug nd play

• Please log in to reply

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi,

I am having problems with my Dell D600 latitude laptop.

I can install a usb mouse or usb hub as plug and play.

I can use any USB storage device (Flash drives or external drives) I already have used before on this machine.

But I cannot install a new flash drive. It goes to the screen new hardware and wants to search for an install. When it does not install it warns my in the systray that the new hardware did not install correctly and that I may have problems with it.

I have checked to see if it appears in disk management but it does not and it does not under My Computer.

It shows in device manager as other devices with a yellow ? and under it another yellow ? with Cruz or ativa, depending on the drive. All of these drives install on all my other XP and win 7 computers without a hitch.

Thanks for the help,

CompCav

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does it work in another computer?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Yes and it works in this computer to boot from before Windows loads.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One possible fix here: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I am firing it up to try it now!

Thanks for the quick responses!!!

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
When I click show hidden devices, the screen refreshes and under Non-plug and play Drivers there are two items with yellow ?'s

MpKsla9df559d
MpKslcb4f820d

While I am in here deleting should I do something with these?

Thanks,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK, I finished uninstalling everything and rebooted.

It reinstalled The four enhanced host controllers and the four USB root hubs.

It will not recognize any flash drives or external USB hard drives now. If I plug them in it goes to the found new hardware wizard and the device manager has a new item show up called other devices with a yellow ? and below it part of the name of the device with a yellow ? but nothing shows up in the USB sub area.

I did plug in a hub with my USB mouse and it installs the hub, the mouse, and the HID.

When it is finished the Universal Serial Bus controllers has two new items that are identical Generic USB Hub.

The mouse works fine with it plugged in.

Again no drives are plug and played now.

Regards,

CompCav

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would do a System Restore to before you removed the USB entries then. That should get you back to where you were.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Done and it is back to just not installing the new ones correctly.

What should I do now?

Thanks,

CompCav

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would try uninstalling USB devices again, only this time only uninstall the ones that are dim or slightly greyed out.

UninstallUSB.jpg

Dimmed means not connected so it should be safe to uninstall them. Reboot, wait a bit for the computer to finish booting and settle down then try a new flash drive.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Will do!

Thanks,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
No change just some of the ones that I uninstalled do not work again.

??

Thanks,

CompCav

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Looks like your laptop has 2 USB ports. What other USB devices do you currently have plugged in or are you using a USB hub?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I have a powered hub and plugged in the first port. It has a USB mouse and a USB cool pad plugged in it. When I deleted everything I unplugged the hub and deleted it all while using the touchpad instead of a mouse.

The other USB port is empty normally. I use it for flash drives or a backup external drive.

Thanks,

CompCav

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
With all USB devices unplugged, including the hub, the new flash drive still doesn't work when plugged directly into the laptop?