Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Flash Drives will not plug nd play

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Hi all,

I found this on the internet from a 2007 post. Do you think it is worth a try?

Problem:
Windows XP does not recognize USB Mass Storage Devices
Device is detected and listed with an exclaimation mark in Device Manager

Solution:
After spending hours on internet and reading through numerous posts, I found following solutions which will definately work:

1. Delete following file: windows\inf\infcache.1

2. Go to windows\inf folder and see if you have read/write permissions for following files:
usbstor.inf
usbstor.pnf
If not, open security settings for above files and add your username for read/write access.

3. Open registry editor and:
Delete following keys:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ <read all keys and delete all those saying USB Mass Storage Driver>

Add following key:
HKLM\Local_Machine\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb
Add a new DWoRD Value and name it "DisableSelectiveSuspend". Give it value 1

4. Make sure you have USBSTOR.SYS file in your windows\system32\drivers folder (It wasn't there in my case). Just Google using Usbstor.sys and you will find the file to download. Save it at above location.

After doing above steps, restart your PC. Now Windows should recognize your mass storage and should do an autoplay.

I have the file for step 4 already in place and the question is on step 1 and 3, do they affect other things?

Thanks,

CompCav

I would try that, it seems to be a known fix for this problem. Also, make sure your registry is pointing to the write folder. Look below for quote in addition to what I quoted from you.

XP comes with drivers for USB mass storage. If it asks for drivers then it has forgotten where they are...
Start the Registry Editor (Run -> Regedit). Check if under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the item 'DevicePath' points to '%SystemRoot%\inf'. Additional items, separated by semikolons, are ok but '%SystemRoot%\inf' has to be one of them.
Then delete the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1 - XP will recreate it.
The INF folder and the infcache.1 file are 'hidden'. To see them in the Windows Explorer:
Menu 'Tools' -> 'Folder Options'
Tab 'View', mark 'show hidden files and folders'
If it still doesn't work after a restart, the files in C:\WINDOWS\inf might be corrupt. An Windows repair install helps then.

Another thing to check is if the values 'FactoryPreInstallInProgress' and 'AuditInProgress' are set to '1' under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory
. They should be 0 or non present.

I found some more information about removing those pesky residual keys from the registry that sysprep can leave behind.

"http://forums.window...&enterthread=y"

well, in case anyone else found this page on Google like me, here's the solution that worked for me:

make the following reg changes:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup
AuditInProgress = 0
cmdLine = "setup -newsetup"
FactoryPreInstallInProgress = 0
MiniSetupInProgress = 0
SetupType = 0 //this one is important!!!
SystemSetupInProgress = 0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory
delete this entire key

and on the HDD:
c:\sysprep (or wherever you extracted it to)... delete it.

I would just try deleted the infcache.1 file first, then reboot, if no joy, then follow the rest of the steps.

Still no luck, a repair install with XP will fix this problem as the INF folder in the Windows Folder probably has corrupt files in it. Repair installs leave all of your data and programs unaffected.

Hope that helps, good luck...

EDIT SOURCE: http://forums.cnet.c...gnize-installs/

Edited by Ferrari, 10 March 2012 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
@Ferrari:

Thank you for the feedback and instructions.

To all that have posted,

Thank you again for the help it is much appreciated.

CompCav

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry about that, it was late as you know when I posted and it was too late for me to read the whole of the topic again.

Good luck with it.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
@Macboatmaster:
It was late for me so it was verylate for you and I do appreciate the help and the well wishes.

@Ferrari:
I tried the delete cache and it tried a long time before the found new hardware popped up, so will start the reg edits now.

Thanks to both of you,

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
All,

The problem is solved!!

I deleted the infcache.1 again after I replaced the usbstor.inf file.

I compared it to the ones I had on an XP Home and an XP Media Center Edition pc. The file size was the same but the age of the file was new 02/18/2012. I click on the usbstor.ing file on the other two computers and it showed as a normal notepad type text file. On the computer that was not working, i clicked on it and lo and behold it was a bunch of little rectangles packed together in about 8 rows that were very long(wide) rows. Definitely not a text file.

Next I copied one of the usbstor.inf files off a good computer and pasted it in the inf directory to replace the bad one. I rebooted, let it settle and first plugged in one of the new drives, it worked, showing all the steps in the little message cloud including it is ready for use!!!!

Thank you all for your help and enjoy your weekend!

Gratefully,

CompCav

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What fantastic news.
So pleased you fixed that one

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
SWEET! :thumbsup:

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thank you for the support and sharing my happiness!! :yes: :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I especially like it that you found the fix yourself :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think this is what you found. If so I will save it for future USB problems.
Solution: Windows XP does not recognize USB Mass Storage Device

I'd like to add my thanks to the great folks here at G2G. What a team.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
@Ztrucker:
Could not have done it without you and everyone that helped me.

I echo your sentiments:

I'd like to add my thanks to the great folks here at G2G. What a team.

Thanks to you

and thanks again to everyone that helped on this thread! (including the lurkers)

CompCav

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One more note. Running System File Checker (sfc /scannow) should have also fixed this. Should have asked you to try that earlier. Oh well.

Take care.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I ran it three times and I have the CD and the Service pack files in i386 before I came here. The things you and others had me do gave me more insight into this whole area and helped me tremendously. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

CompCav

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

One more note. Running System File Checker (sfc /scannow) should have also fixed this. Should have asked you to try that earlier. Oh well.

yep...as would a repair

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

yep...as would a repair

But it didn't, weird. It was run 3 times and did not fix the problem. A Repair would have I'm sure.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Who needs a repair install when CompCav is on the job :spoton: