Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Flash Drives will not plug nd play

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think I have it right that the problem was solved by clearing the driver.cache -

The infcache.1 is used to store information about USB drivers the information in this file may have become corrupted or may cause windows to load the wrong driver or cause a driver not found message to be generated.
Deleting this file will force windows to generate a new infcache.1 file

which is what I thought - incorrectly - of course I now know could be addressed by my post 57 and was the line I working on in my post 55
as I had read about stored usb drivers causing the problem.

If it is that, then would system file check address that issue.

However and whatever as Troy said - CompCav - brilliant.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Not brilliant it was the cache plus replacing usbstor.inf

The file was the right size but it was not a text file when I opened it in notepad it looked like several rows of rectangles next to one another.

Thanks again for the help, all of you!

CompCav

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
these kind of head scratchers are good in that we all learn from them

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I don't think anybody answered your question:

When I click show hidden devices, the screen refreshes and under Non-plug and play Drivers there are two items with yellow ?'s

MpKsla9df559d
MpKslcb4f820d

While I am in here deleting should I do something with these?

These are leftover MSSE update drivers. MSSE installs a new driver with every update. It is supposed to remove the old ones but supposedly there was a bug in the earlier versions so it didn't always happen. The MS folk tell me they have fixed the problem but I don't think they went back and had it delete the old ones.

Here is an example from an old OTL log showing both a good driver and a bad driver:

DRV - (MpKslb0210cf6) -- File not found
DRV - (MpKsld2c62d31) -- c:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{0C5E2617-C252-4B56-B611-7F3A15EE5358}\MpKsld2c62d31.sys (Microsoft Corporation)

If there is no corresponding .sys file then they can be removed.

Ron

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Thanks Ron I will remove.

Regards,

CompCav