Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Factory settings without Recovery DVD

• Please log in to reply

ashldh

ashldh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to recover my ASUS K52D Notebook PC to factory settings. I am currently running Windows 7 operating system. I do have the Driver & Utility Ver.1.0 disk, but I have lost the System recovery disk that was made by the store where I purchased my laptop from. (When I called the store, they said this disk is basically like a 'picture' of my operating system or something along those lines, if that helps). So last night I tried following the manuals instructions for 'recovering your Notebook PC using the recovery partition'; I pressed F9 during bootup, then pressed enter to select windows setup, then selected the language i wanted to recover and then clicked next, read the ASUS Preload Wizard messaged and clicked next, then selected a partition option (Recover Windows to entire HD), then once the process got undway, I left the room for a couple hours to let it do it's thing. When I returned, there was a large, red, ERROR printed on the screen, and Recovery OS file Error was in the top left of the screen (the screen did still have a loading symbol and said recovery in process or something along those lines, but I figured it was just frozen like this, so I turned the computer off by holding down the power button). Anyways, now my computer is totally messed up, and I have NO IDEA what to do to fix it. If there is any way that I can still recover my Notebook to factory setting without the original system recovery disk, I would really appreciate help in doing it! Thanks :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the recovery partition again...
this time just select the C: partition to install to...if you select the whole hard drive your recovery partition will be gone...
and this time do not turn off the computer even if it appears to hang...if it hung leave it for at least 4 hours