Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to disconnect the hard drive, cdrom drive and other drive that is connected to the motherboard. To do this find the ribbon or cable that goes from the drive to the motherboard and disconnect it from the motherboard.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay so... unplug my ram, processor, video card, all peripherals (except monitor, mouse and keyboard) and all other internal cables except the 3 you listed?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

You need to disconnect the hard drive, cdrom drive and other drive that is connected to the motherboard. To do this find the ribbon or cable that goes from the drive to the motherboard and disconnect it from the motherboard.

That it, plus the peripherals?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to leave the ram, kb, mouse, video, power connections, speaker to the motherboard and the power and reset switches connected. Then try to boot the system and see if it will turn on. If not then you will remove the motherboard per the second part of the instructions in post 11 and test the motherboard outside of the case.
If still no results then it is most likely the motherboard.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

You have to leave the ram, kb, mouse, video, power connections, speaker to the motherboard and the power and reset switches connected. Then try to boot the system and see if it will turn on. If not then you will remove the motherboard per the second part of the instructions in post 11 and test the motherboard outside of the case.

It's courting right now, with ask my drives disconnected like you said. Now what do I do? Also, does this mean the issue lies in my hard drive and not the other components?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

It's courting right now, with ask my drives disconnected like you said. Now what do I do? Also, does this mean the issue lies in my hard drive and not the other components?

It's booting, not courting. Stupid autocorrect.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Here's a pic of what my monitor is saying.

http://i186.photobuc...1-59-42_881.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now reconnect your hard drive and see if it will post then.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OK now reconnect your hard drive and see if it will post then.

Reconnected just my hard drive, it's not going into POST.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sounds like we found the culprit then. To check and make sure is your hard drive SATA or IDE. You can tell by the motherboard connection.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OK sounds like we found the culprit then. To check and make sure is your hard drive SATA or IDE. You can tell by the motherboard connection.

It's SATA, same data cable as the red one in the lower of your two pics.

Edited by GhostLoad, 08 March 2012 - 11:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK disconnect the hard drive and connect the other drives back up. See if it posts then. If so connect anything else up except the hard drive and try it. If still posting then we can assue it may be the hard drive or the cable itself.
Another option is to move the connection to the motherboard to another SATA port and test it then.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OK disconnect the hard drive and connect the other drives back up. See if it posts then. If so connect anything else up except the hard drive and try it. If still posting then we can assue it may be the hard drive or the cable itself.
Another option is to move the connection to the motherboard to another SATA port and test it then.

Can't get it to POST at all anymore. After the 1 time, I hit F1, did that possibly F everything up?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
F1 would not have caused it to not post. That just instructs the system to continue post boot without the hard drive. It still would have stopped on the next screen since it couldn't see the hard drive.
Disconnect the power from the back of the system and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then reconnect power and try again.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

F1 would not have caused it to not post. That just instructs the system to continue post boot without the hard drive. It still would have stopped on the next screen since it couldn't see the hard drive.
Disconnect the power from the back of the system and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then reconnect power and try again.

Okay, giving it 5 minutes. Will try again very shortly.

What would make it POST once but not again?

Edited by GhostLoad, 08 March 2012 - 11:50 AM.