Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Waited 5 mins. Still won't POST. What's wrong with it now? :(

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely the motherboard is failing. I though it might be the hard drive but now it looks more like the motherboard is the culprit.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Most likely the motherboard is failing. I though it might be the hard drive but now it looks more like the motherboard is the culprit.

None of this is really good news persay. I sort of don't know what to do at this point, since I have to head to bed in a few minutes. I'll check this again tonight when I wake up. Thanks for your help so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is indeed the motherboard your only choice is replacement. :(
Without any drives connected the system should post but if it is not doing that then I have to believe the board is faulty.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

If it is indeed the motherboard your only choice is replacement. :(
Without any drives connected the system should post but if it is not doing that then I have to believe the board is faulty.

Well it's seeming like the motherboard.... Now what do I do? :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to find a motherboard that will use your CPU and Memory so that those two items will not have to be replaced. Do you know what cpu you have..Intel I imagine but which one?
I found this one HERE at NewEgg which should be close to your motherboard using the same cpu and memory.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

You need to find a motherboard that will use your CPU and Memory so that those two items will not have to be replaced. Do you know what cpu you have..Intel I imagine but which one?
I found this one HERE at NewEgg which should be close to your motherboard using the same cpu and memory.

What about the 3 year warrantee on my ASUS mobo? I'm kinda considering buying new components and recycling my current stuff into a new tower as a backup PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Getting hold of Asus first would be the correct decision to see if they would replace it for you. Building a new up to date computer would be good if your finances would allow it. The question is do you want to go with a barebones and add the other components, buy a complete system or custom build everything from the ground up.
What kind of budget would you be looking at from low to high?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Getting hold of Asus first would be the correct decision to see if they would replace it for you. Building a new up to date computer would be good if your finances would allow it. The question is do you want to go with a barebones and add the other components, buy a complete system or custom build everything from the ground up.
What kind of budget would you be looking at from low to high?

I was looking at these components;

Video card - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625

CPU - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131701
Or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131790

RAM - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231314
Or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231428

Thoughts?

On one hand, I really don't want to spend any . On the other, I was planning on upgrading my components this July anyways, since my PC is about 4 years old. :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are you running a 64 bit OS because if you are not planning to then you have way to much memory then in your list.
If you are then take a look at this HERE

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OK are you running a 64 bit OS because if you are not planning to then you have way to much memory then in your list.
If you are then take a look at this HERE

Yep, 64 bit windows 7. Which of the two motherboards are better? Same question for the RAM (since they seem identical, even in price).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you look at the ram I linked to? 16 gigs for $30.00

The motherboards are almost identical in layout but I would have to choose this one HERE

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Did you look at the ram I linked to? 16 gigs for $30.00

The motherboards are almost identical in cutout but I would have to choose this one HERE

Yeah I did, but I wanted 1600mhz instead of the 1333 mhz.

Edited by GhostLoad, 09 March 2012 - 03:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK just wanted to make sure you had that option just in case you wanted to save a few dollars.
:thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OK just wanted to make sure you had that option just in case you wanted to save a few dollars.
:thumbsup:

Well I ordered all parts, and spent about $700. Everything should be here by Tuesday. Also got ahold of ASUS and they emailed me the info I need to RMA my motherboard and send it to them.

Last time I got a new motherboard, I missed a cable which ended up making my PC not boot, and didn't figure out what it read for a few days. Could I continue posting in this thread for walk through help with installing my new motherboard come Tuesday? I don't really want to make the same silly mistake again.