Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is fine as I am now familiar with everything it would make it easier on both of us.
I am really glad Asus is going to RMA your motherboard for you and that you would have a great backup system also. Please just let me know when you are ready and we can continue. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yep that is fine as I am now familiar with everything it would make it easier on both of us.
I am really glad Asus is going to RMA your motherboard for you and that you would have a great backup system also. Please just let me know when you are ready and we can continue. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. The parts will be here on Tuesday, so I'll post as soon as they get here. Sometime around noon most likely.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Alright, everything us here (except my two new fans) so now it's time to install my new motherboard and the rest of my components.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK FYI make sure your standoffs that hold the motherboard off the mounting plate are in the right positions or you take a chance shorting your board out.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Alright, I haven't opened anything yet but I'm on my way home from work now. I'll post once I've cracked open all my boxes.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Okay so.... what are standoffs? Is that where the motherboard mounts to the case?

Also, do you prefer building the motherboard first (putting in the CPU, heatsink, RAM, and video card) or do you prefer installing the motherboard into the case then putting in all the components?

Edited by GhostLoad, 13 March 2012 - 09:11 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Standoffs are the little metal parts that you screw the motherboard to.
I prefer to put everything on the mother CPU, memory, heatsink outside of the case then mount the motherboard. There are a few exceptions depending on your heatsink mounting. If it must screw into the motherboard then you may want to wait to mount the motherboard first.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Oh okay the little pieces that you mount the mounting pieces of the motherboard to. Good tip. My heatsink is huge, let me check to see how it mounts and I'll let you know. It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus btw.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Is there a trick to getting the standoffs unscrewed? They're mostly hexagonal sided but there are 2 round ones back near where all my stuff plugs into the motherboard from outside the case.

Edit: Never mind, the 2 round ones are kinda there permanently.

Edited by GhostLoad, 13 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah the only ones you have to worry about are the hex ones. Just line those up with the holes in the motherboard. You probably won't have a hole in the motherboard mounting plate where there is a hole in the motherboard. That is not a problem and is normal.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and put in most of the components into the motherboard before installing it into the case, except for the heatsink. It's really quite huge and I'm worried about a potential issue with the hanging weight as I maneuver the board into place. Anything I need to know about applying thermal paste? Also, since I'm keeping my old CPU to put in a cheap case once my motherboard gets RMA'd, is there any way to clean off the thermal paste on it & the "old" heatsink that was attached to it so I can apply new paste once I buy my new case?

P.S. - Please keep an eye on this thread, as I'm working on this right this moment and need to go to bed once I'm done (I work the night shift lol). Thanks for being understanding & helpful!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It only takes about a pea size amount of TIM to work. spread it out so it covers the bottom of the heatsink before applying it to the cpu. This will ensure good contact and heat dissipation.

To get the heatsink you can start the system for a minute and let the TIM warm up. That should make it easy to separate the heatsink from the fan once you shut the system down.
Make sure to wipe all the old TIM off before applying new. Then follow the same instructions above.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
So I'm trying to pop in the CPU but the latch cover plate thing is resisting a bit when I go to shut it. I'm a little scared of applying pressure to such a sensitive component.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it will be a little hard but just support the motherboard good and you should be ok.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Eh alright I'll put some pressure on it....

Edit: CPU installed, along with RAM.

Edited by GhostLoad, 13 March 2012 - 11:08 AM.