Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
All ready to put my motherboard in my case. How exactly should I go about putting it in? Eyeball where the standoffs go, then screw them in before lowering in the board?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes just make sure where you put them there is a hole in the motherboard that you can screw into the standoff.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
F&@K I used the wrong screw to put in one of the holes for the motherboard, and now I can't get it out for the life of me. I don't really want to just leave it there unscrewed, just sitting in it's slot in the standoff, but I don't know how to get it out. Thoughts/ideas?

Edit: Managed to get the screw out, screwing in the correct one how. I'm no really sure about how to install this heatsink though, the one I previously used was the one that came with my CPU. Do you have any experience installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus? It's quite different from those now-screw plastic thumb screws the Intel heatsink uses.

Edited by GhostLoad, 13 March 2012 - 11:41 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will either screw down to the motherboard or it would have a latch that needs to be connected.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Alright, time to plug everything in...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK make sure if there are two power connection for the motherboard that they are both connected.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
How do I know what connections to use.... there are so many...

The only one I've got connected (that I know to connect) is the CPU fan power.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
What's this AAFP connector that's shown in the motherboard manual? It's an 8 pin connector plug.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a 20+4 connector which is the main power supply to the motherboard. Then there should be another power connector around the cpu somewhere which is the other power supply to the motherboard. Once those are made then the cpu fan should plug into the motherboard also and then everything else will be for video card, hard drives and optical drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you post a picture of the manual page or what is the motherboard model number and I can look at it directly.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 motherboard. Corsair TX750w power supply. Thermaltake Armor + case. I thought I had everything wired, but it didn't turn on. Am trouble shooting it now.

Edit: when I plug in the power cable, and press my power button, the front case fan flickers it's blue light for a SPLIT second.

As long as the power cable is plugged in, the two little "power" and "reset" buttons/lights are lit up on the motherboard.

Edited by GhostLoad, 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I see the 20+4 connector and then up by the cpu there is a 8 pin connector. OK I have the board layout now.

[attachment=56613:Untitled.jpg]
[attachment=56613:Untitled.jpg]

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Sigh, I'm just so f-ing frustrated right now. I don't know why it won't boot , and I have to go to bed now so I can get up on time for work tomorrow.... :upset:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then this is a good time to stop for the night. Sleep on it and we can resume tomorrow when you have a clear mind. I think it may be either one of the small little wires not connected right or maybe a standoff not fully screwed down.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Alright, so I'm able to boot it up with buy monitor plugged into the on-board port on the motherboard. When I do, it goes into BIOS (hit del to enter settings mode) and them it tries to continue. However, I get a black screen that says Windows failed to start, our something (I'll attach a screenshot) and gives me two options; repair or start windows normally. If I try to start windows normally, it flashes a few times and just restarts, and the process begins over again.

Edit: Here's the screenshot http://i186.photobuc...0-29-04_671.jpg

Edited by GhostLoad, 14 March 2012 - 08:35 AM.