Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP service pack--problems?

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi. My automatic updates just d/loaded what I thanks is XP service pack 2. It must have taken about 5 hours. Anyway a few problems.

1 There is now a Windows Security Centre icon in the bottom right area of the taskbar. I dont know whether this is meant to be or if its there only because of the message it has which is:

Firewall : On
Automatic Updates: On
Virus Protection: On. Norton Antivirus reports that it is installed, but its
status is unknown.

I have Norton set to scan weekly. This message never came before. What can I do and can I get rid of the Windows Security icon?

2 My e-mails in Outlook Express tonight wouldnt show any images. It told me some pictures were blocked to help prevent the sender from identifying my PC !

3 On this page: www.iol.ie (which I use frequently) images just refused to load.

Also I think my PC is running slower!!!

I've now turned off popup-blocker but a lot of absent images on the site as well.

Everything seems to be a bit messy.

KC
What can I do??

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There have been major changes to Internet Explorer. Many designed to slow the spread of spyware and other malware.

You will need to update Norton Antivirus, and make sure you have the latest version of Live Update:
http://www.symantec....?src=ivr_na_con

On most systems SP2 is faster. It's almost en entire rewrite of the XP Kernal, so there are bound to be some hickups. I've had it installed on my system for a couple weeks and have been very happy with it. Not sure about the blocked images error as I haven't seen it. I also don't use OE.