Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows to Go the best way to sample Windows 8

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
New blog post detailing how to run Windows 8 from a "live" USB stick (or external USB drive) http://www.geekstogo...review-edition/

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you done this yet...I am in the process of downloading the necessary files but when looking at the know issues list here is quite extensive

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Those known issues are all for Windows AIK. You aren't really running WAIK, just using one file to extract and write the Windows install image to the USB drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks...I'll build it in the morning when I'm fresh...
as luck would have it I got 2 32 GB corsair flash drives about 2 weeks ago on sale and I was wanting to put them to work...
one more question...if the iso is burned to a dvd...would it act like a live cd or a straight up install of 8

how about mounting the iso in VirtualBox or any VM

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

one more question...if the iso is burned to a dvd...would it act like a live cd or a straight up install of 8

Probably neither. Windows to Go requires write access, to save driver info, swap drive, local appcache, registry, etc. Doubt it would be very useful, or work at all from a CDR.

I'm guessing the ISO would mount in a VM. Why not just run the install? VMs don't really offer the best Windows 8 experience, but there are many documented ways of getting Win8 to run on VirtualBox.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can't buy Windows 8 yet. It's available for free as a "Consumer Preview" that will expire Jan 15, 2013.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Happyrock have you had a chance to try it out yet? Give us your thoughts please?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...
I did not like it...it seems to be designed for touchscreen tablets
I don't even have a smartphone and have no desire to get one even if they were free...
I don't text or tweet or facebook...
but that's just me...the younger folks seem like they have to be connected and interacting all the time and are oblivious to whats going on around them... :wacko:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
OK yeah I have seen that too. On the "other" side, how did it work as far as booting of the USB drive go? Drivers and such on different machines?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I only tried it on my desktop although I have about 6 other systems here...
I was so unimpressed with it I did not even try it on anything else

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

yep...
I did not like it...it seems to be designed for touchscreen tablets
I don't even have a smartphone and have no desire to get one even if they were free...
I don't text or tweet or facebook...
but that's just me...the younger folks seem like they have to be connected and interacting all the time and are oblivious to whats going on around them... :wacko:

I noticed the same thing! Microsoft appears to be transitioning to a "single OS" design. One OS that can support PCs, tablets, etc. The Metro interface is maddening for me, but there is a registry key you can modify to essentially disable the Metro interface and navigate the OS like you would for Windows 7. This release reminds me of Windows 7 BETA... Random crash report generation, flaky generic video drivers... Don't get me started on the new IE :whistling: The biggest improvement I see is the ability to sign-in with your Live ID. We're finally getting a centralized account setup!

I have been running the developer preview for a little while now but I think I'm ready to throw it on a VM and stick with 7 for a while longer.