Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No desktop at start-up, many explorer.exe files (BSOD problems too) [S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
You're very welcome for the advice. I think nearly all, if not all of the helpers are here because we enjoy helping people. It's just what we do! Your intelligent responses made this a very enjoyable experience from my end as well.

Just a few notes based on your feedback:

• Would you believe I'd never noticed CCleaner's startup enable/disable functionality? You taught me something new this time! Yes, it might be a good enough alternative to Soluto, especially since CCleaner is so lean and doesn't run all the time.
  • I don't think I'd do a disk wipe ever, much less on a scheduled basis. That's functionality that really isn't needed in general, though it has occasional uses. By wiping the drive, you're also removing the possibility to use data recovery software to get back accidentally deleted material. I can see using it if you carry sensitive material for a corporation or something, perhaps.
  • Choosing an antivirus product requires just as much research as anything else, and our recommendations change over time. Programs will fall in and out of favor based on their speed, accuracy, system load, and removal ability among other things. It's probably not a bad idea to ask around when the time comes, to see what is being recommended then.
  • I don't believe MVPS hosts file is like TeaTimer at all - Spybot S&D does have host file entries in the same manner that MVPS does, but TeaTimer has a completely separate function from that, being to announce things being run so you can choose to kill them or allow them. I don't think Spybot touches your hosts file unless you update Spybot, at which time it has a checked option to update it. I haven't looked closely, but I believe any auto-run in MVPS would be simply to check for updated entries. I don't know enough about the program to tell you for sure.
  • I'm not sure why searchindexer would be sticking so regularly, but it's certainly worth looking into. Perhaps the guys in the Windows Vista section of the forums have some ideas? I know that the index can not only be created from scratch, but also can be deleted prior to rebuilding; perhaps that's what's needed? My knowledge in that area is a little weak, so it might be best to research or ask their advice on that.

I'll go ahead and close the topic - if you have further questions, you can always ask me or a mod to open it again, or start a new topic. :)

Advertisements

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.