Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC boot problem - hard drive ok - windows error recovery

• Please log in to reply

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My new computer (2 months old) will no longer boot up. I get power but windows wont load. I get "windows error recovery" with option to load normally or repair windows. I thought it was the hard drive but ran Seagate's SeaTools for DOS (from CD) and it said drive was ok. I've tried repair disk but that just locks at "windows is loading files ...". Also tried to use image disks I made but wont load. Any thoughts ?

Advertisements

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just wondering how come no one is replying ???

I can't get into safe mode or any of the boot options.

I also can't reload windows.

It just keeps ending up at "windows has failed to start" screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I personally would say it is a hardware issue and since the system is only two months old I would have it repaired under the warranty.
It is better to let them fix it now instead of it becoming a issue later. Obviously it's a manufacturer defect for something like this to happen so quickly.
I find it hard to believe that your recovery partition, recovery disk and manufacturers hd diagnostics are not working if the hd is in working order. Your issue may be a motherboard issue and not a hd issue.
BTW your topic is only a little over a day old and remember we are all volunteers so someone with expertise with your issue may have not read your topic yet. Also the fact your system is only two months old may be scaring members off as warranty issue are best handled by the manufacturer now before it becomes a worse problem in the future. :thumbsup:

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks rshaffer61 for the response. I thought maybe there was a lack of response because I was not providing enough info or something. I appreciate that everyone are volunteers and thank them for the help.

I built my system myself from a barebones system I ordered on-line so I don't think I get any repair help from the manufacturer other than the individual parts. So I appreciate any support I get from the forum.

I just received a new hard drive and when I went to load windows it went past the "loading files" screen but froze on the "starting windows" screen.

I am puzzled, because if I can get to this point then it seems like all the hardware works. It seemed like it was the hard drive that would freeze when loading windows but I just tried it on a new hardrive so it can't be that.

Would it have anything to do with my windows version being an OEM version ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Would it have anything to do with my windows version being an OEM version ?

Where did the OEM version come from?
Was it specifically bought for this custom built system?

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I bought it from same place as the barebones system for this computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is it a Genuine Hologram Microsoft OS disk or is it a burned copy?

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is legit from TigerDirect.

http://www.tigerdire...&SRCCODE=CANLET

Edited by Gravy4672, 14 March 2012 - 12:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep then the issue is not the disk that I can see. Lets test the memory then to see if the issue is there. Some memory issues can cause problems with installations.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Excellent information. I will try it tonight. Thanks.

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Problem solved - excellent ! I have 2 sticks of 4gb ram so I could do the easy method A. Took one stick out and still had problem (although it progressed slightly further in the boot up and went to a blue screen with message). Then I switched the memory sticks and it booted up with the other one stick no problem. I will be returning the faulty stick. Thanks for your help rshaffer61, that was a very thorough walkthrough you provided for method B (even though I didn't have to use it). I appreciate your time and effort. Another lesson learned for me in computer repair/workings thanks to this site.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is great to hear and if I may add one more thing for you.
Try to match the memory so you don't run into a compatibility issue with them being run together.
Please let me know when you replace the memory and how the system is running then. We like to know what the ending result is good or bad. I'm glad to have been of assistance and for your patience running the test and answering my question. It was a pleasure helping you to resolve your issue. ;) :cool: :ph34r: :thumbsup: