Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection between 1st flr and 4th flr possbile?

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day to all, Just wondering if its possible to have an internet connection on our office between 1st floor and 4th floor only, without installing any device on 2nd and 3rd floors? I mean for example, our dsl modem is on 1st floor, we want to have an internet connection on the 4th floor however we do not have any clearance to do any installations or modifications on the 2nd floor and the 3rd floor because its rented by a different company in which we are not involved with.

I've heard about the wireless repeater but I'm confused as to where to put it. I would also like to know what is the perfect combination of both wireless router and wireless repeater to have the strongest signal as possible. I hope someone will shed light to this Tnx a lot in advance. ^_^

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello chickmazta,

Considering all the obstructions an office will have it is very unlikely that you will achieve a good working environment using the average router gear. You'll probably be better off running a Cat5E cable through the building.

A repeater would only work if you could place those on the 2nd and 3rd floor. But even then, running a Cat5E cable through the building would still give you a more stable connection.

Regards,
Olrik

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thank you very much for the response. You were right, its not the best way to do this. I guess well be having 2 isp for each floor and there's no problem about that the only question is how we can share files between those pc's.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
As I said in my earlier post. It's probably better to run a wire through the building instead. You sure that's not an option?
Sharing files between 2 floors through the internet in a business has a lot more security risks than you probably want.

Regards,
Olrik

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Another way to handle this is to use your building power wiring for Ethernet.

Here is one example: NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit

Another is HomePNA Technology, sending Ethernet over existing phone lines.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hadn't thought about that, thanks Ztrucker! :D

Regards,
Olrik

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
wow this is amazing! I'll check this powerline thing if we can adopt to this, never new this might be possible as of now. I'll feedback you guys if its successful, thanks very much!

got one question again, does this mean if these 2 floors have the same powerline this powerline adpator kit is possible? what if they both have different circuit breakers? for example each floor has its own sub-power switch which does not affect other floors during on and off, if I turn off the switch from 1st floor, 4th floor is not affected and stays on.

Edited by chickmazta, 12 March 2012 - 01:04 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

got one question again, does this mean if these 2 floors have the same powerline this powerline adpator kit is possible? what if they both have different circuit breakers? for example each floor has its own sub-power switch which does not affect other floors during on and off, if I turn off the switch from 1st floor, 4th floor is not affected and stays on.

It depends if the power lines have the opportunity to phase. But generally if there are circuit breakers in between it doesn't get that opportunity.
That being said, I've seen Ethernet over Power used is some really odd situations where it actually worked while everybody thought it would be a fluke.

It's worth a shot?

Regards,
Olrik

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sorry for the delay, It's worth it. A friend of mine owned a NETGEAR Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit. He will be lending me this to try it on our office. Hope everything works well. A few computer store sells this kind of product here in Phil. I guess we will be placing orders via net. Update you guys as soon as I can. Tnx again!

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Its all well done, We've finally got connection on both ends. I didn't set the configuration, just laid the wirings and got electricuted somehow :lol: We used the Netgear powerline for testing the process and now the orders have been made and the D-Links version is on its way. Thank you guys for all the help! Godbless and more power GTG!!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please let us know how it goes when you get the new D-link adapters installed. I'm very curious how it all works out.