Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Classic Firefox Bookmarks System

• Please log in to reply

Golden Butterflies

Golden Butterflies

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I still use Firefox 2. I love it; it has everything I want or need in a browser without any of the bloated junk I'd rather do without. I have a great theme for it that I've used for years and can't imagine dealing well with losing.

But the web keeps moving forward with design and it seems every day I find another website that I have to totally recreate with Stylish in order to just see the content because the CSS and effects used don't degrade gracefully. Some things just don't load or work at all, in fact, regardless of my attempts to make them do so.

Thing is, I love my bookmarks management exactly how it is, and I love being able to keep them all in a single html file that is both easy on my hard drive and easy on me. I have an obsessive sort of order I use for my bookmarks and refuse to deviate from that. They have to be exact; they have been for three years now. Six if you don't count my decision to display more bookmarks on the toolbar than I had before.

I do not at all want or welcome the database system that newer versions of Firefox use. I don't want to tag them, or search them, or have them any other way than exactly as they are and - quite frankly - with the immediate traces easily removed and replaced at whim. All the tagging, searching, database-using stuff is just going to bog down my poor system, hinder the way my mind works with bookmarks, ruin my browser startup and usage speeds, and agitate me in the process.

So... Sorry for ranting, but I needed to make it clear how important this is to me before asking. Is there any way, through any means of chopping at the code, editing the about:config, installing an add-on, or even begging the computer overlords (okay, that last one's a joke... mostly) to force Firefox to completely abandon the database method and all those fancy features of the new bookmarks system? I want it to use bookmarks.html - and ONLY bookmarks.html. I found a page online that describes making it use that in addition to the database, but that's not quite what I want or need since it doesn't really revert the way I can use or handle bookmarks in Firefox.

I don't want to use Chrome because of its auto-update (my connection just cannot handle that) and the learning curve. But bookmarks are a very important part of how I use Firefox, so I don't particularly want to upgrade either if I'll be forced to use the new bookmarks system. Meanwhile I'll have to do SOMETHING soon because my favorite version of Firefox is long past its end of life and the effects are finally starting to seep into the sites I use.

Is what I'm wanting possible at all? Alternately, is there any way to make Firefox 2 compatible with all the new web trends out there (Google fonts, in particular)? (Please don't be offended or think I'm entitled or something if from a programming/logistical approach what I desire is unrealistic. I don't know how browser compatibility or the background code of a browser works, so right now I just can't understand why there's no option to use the old bookmarks system - as far as I've read - or some sort of add-on to make Firefox 2 suddenly recognize how to process the newer effects etc.)

Advertisements