Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW drive will not burn CD's

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Have Dell M90 laptop with TSST Corp TS-L632H DVD-RW drive that will not burn DVD+R, DVD-R or DVD+RW Cd's.
Drive has worked before. I have noticed when using Windows Exporer that the description of the drive when empty says "DVD-RW Drive" but when inserting a DVD+R, DVD-R or DVD+RW disk the description changes to "CD Drive".

When trying to copy audio or video files to a blank DVR+R or DVD-R disk I get the message "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." When trying to copy audio or video files to a blank DVD+RW disk I get the message "Disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk."

Windows Device Manager says the device is enabled and fuctioning OK and the driver is provided by Microsoft (2001).

Please help!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
A DVD burner as 2 lasers, one for the DVD's and one for the CD'sm if your burner as also problems reading dvd's (not just burning them) but not cd's then it probably means that the laser for the dvd is not working.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Additionally to what Alzeimer has said, go Start
right click My Computer, click properties
click the hardware tab
click device manager
click to expand the entry DVD drive
right click the device
click uninstall
follow the procedure
REBOOT the computer

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Problem solved. DVD burner OK.
Problem was with the software program I was trying to use.

Thanks for all your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting.
One of the most useful and free is this
http://www.imgburn.com/

It will burn MORE or LESS all formats you will need and it is very good at telling you - what settings you need to configure if Auto which does for most is not suitable

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks for the tip on Imageburn. I've downloaded it and will give it a try.