Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh Install with OEM disc on different computer

• Please log in to reply

GotSnazz

GotSnazz

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I put a new computer together a couple days ago, and used a Dell OEM Windows 7 disc to install windows on it. It's not activated yet. If i buy a $200 retail copy of windows at the store, can I use that key to activate it? Or will I have to reinstall with the retail version? They are both Home Premium. Thank you.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I am glad you are getting a new license because using that Dell OEM license was illegal! :(

You should be able to use the new key, but if it balks, a repair install with the new disk should correct it without over writing everything.

GotSnazz

GotSnazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I wasn't aware using the disk purely for an install was illegal. I was under the impression trying to move the activation over was the illegal part. You learn something everyday. Thanks for the heads up, and the reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also using the OEM disk supplied to your Dell for any other system can be issue in itself since it will load drivers for the Dell on the new system.

GotSnazz

GotSnazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just an FYI. I bought the retail version of windows 7 home premium. Didn't even have to take it out of the box. I just put in the code that came with it, and it activated with no problems.

Good call on the drivers comment. I hadn't thought of that, and I'm actually really surprised it hasn't caused any problems. I deselected some stuff on the initial install, but I'm not sure if drivers were one of them.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I wasn't aware using the disk purely for an install was illegal.

It's not - as long as you use a proper license key, as you did. But if you had left that Dell copy as is, even without activating it, that would have been a violation of the license agreement from the original installation. So all is good.