Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Disconnects when networked computer is turned on

• Please log in to reply

Hunter101

Hunter101

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,

I have 8 computer in my house, 2 mac laptops, 3 windows 7 laptops and 3 windows7 desktops. Only 2 windows7 desktops(my brothers and mine) are connected by a lan cable to the modemrouter (Billion 7800N).

The problem is whenever my brother turns his computer on the internet disconnects for about 30 seconds, which is a pain when playing games online.

I read somewhere that I need to change his ip address or something, hopefully someone can explain to me what to do in a more simple manner.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Sounds like you are having an IP address conflict.

There are two things you will need to check.

1. Log on to your router and see if it is assigning IP's automatically (you are looking for settings that say DHCP)
2. Ask your brother to open his network settings and view his network adapter.
Once he has found the interface ask that he right clicks and selects properties.
He should then see a box with a list in it, scroll down to "Internet Protocol Version X (TCP/IPvX)" where X is either a 4 or a 6 and click properties.
Make sure that it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"