Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amd fx8150 please need a hand.

• Please log in to reply

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi there , im going to be building a system and I am stuck on a motherboard and processor. Firstly the processor I am interested in the amd fx8150 but noticed the amd fx4170 keeps up with it so reviews have told me anyway in turbo mode they both peak at around 4.2ghz, there seems to be about a hundred dollar difference in them which ones better? Is this fx4170 taking the piss is it to good to be true?

I am open to intel brands etc, I just want a pc that pumps and plays all my games on hd without laggn, obviously the gpu plays a big part in that.

Last not least which is a good motherboard to take the cpu? it needs to be able to fit my 16gb of ram (2x 8gb sticks) and a fx processor unless otherwise converted to intel by someone on here.

One more thing what would be an awesome graphics and sound card to throw in? I use a 42in plasma with a high def cable, with an optical audio cable running from the plasma to my home theayre system reaping the benefits of 5.1 if I can get the right stuff, im a fair hardcore gamer and I hate lag, id rather smash my head against a wall then play a laggy game lol.

Thanks for your time and opinions/advice in advance

Advertisements

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Any help would be great guys cheers

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Will a nvidia gtx 570 fit a asus m5a97 evo motherboard with a amd fx8150 processor?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Thenewbloke, Posted Image

The gaming performance of your rig is going to depend on your budget so please give us a figure to work with.

A list of any hardware you would be able to use in the new build, Monitor etc., would be useful.

At the moment, for a gaming PC, I would only recommend Intel, you can use AMD, but you would find very few review sites going that way..

"Today, Intel's LGA 1155 platform remains the best bet for a gaming rig. And not only for its budget-oriented performance, which is great, but also for its potential. Start with a cheap Core i3 and an inexpensive discrete GPU. Then, upgrade later to an Ivy Bridge-based chip and a faster graphics card without imposing any sort of bottleneck. SLI and CrossFire are both viable with a fast-enough CPU (even splitting PCI Express connectivity between two x8 slots), and the $180 Core i5-2400 is a gaming beast that AMD's overclocked processors cannot touch.

source,

http://www.tomshardw...ark,3136-9.html

Best gaming pc for the money, plus some good reading. http://www.tomshardw...onents,1/CPU,1/

Edited by iammykyl, 10 March 2012 - 07:50 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi mate ive been watching on youtube and they round up a bunch of gamers and give them 2 systems to try a AMD FX8150 an the intel i7 2700k, both having identical video cards and ram etc. when the vote polls came in gamers were more impressed by the amdfx8150, (please keep in note the gamers didnt know what they were using, they had two systems system a and system b, one being intel and amd.)although the intel i7 2700k still got 58 votes the amd fx8150 came in at 84 votes, they both had all the same hardware alot of places are saying amd is the bomb, why should i convert to intel isnt amd ideal for gaming? this is the system im thinking of so far and please correct me if im wrong guys

AMD fx8150 processor 3.6ghz normal turboed 4.2ghz
M5A99X-EVO motherboard
HD radeon 6950 powercolor graphics card
16gb of memory
2 blu ray writer drives
1tb western digital hdd

would this system pump? in total here in adelaide south australia this machine will cost me around $1100 to build. is there other machine around this price that will smash it or is this a pretty well machine?
please keep in mind im using a 42in plasma and a home theatre system as a monitor and speakers.

any help would be great cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Couple of pointers to add to what iammykyl has already said;

AMD fx8150 processor 3.6ghz normal turboed 4.2ghz
M5A99X-EVO motherboard
I will leave this to iammykyl as I am not a gamer.

HD radeon 6950 powercolor graphics card
As you will be using such a large screen you will need a video card that has 2GB of VRam, this applies when using a screen larger than 32" or more than three screens.

16gb of memory
Have you already purchased the Ram? See my canned speech below regarding MB QVLs;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

2 blu ray writer drives
Why two of these?

1tb western digital hdd
Good choice of brand, be sure to match your choice to the MB if it is 6.0Gb/s capable, go for the WD Black that has 64MB of Cache and a five year warranty.

Other items to note;
1: You do not mention a case, are you going to be using the present one and if so what type and size is the case as not all MBs are compatible with all cases due to size ( ATX - Micro ATX - uATX ).
2: No mention of a PSU, you do however decide on this last so that you ensure that what you purchase can provide enough clean and stable power for all hardware and you must ensure that the PSU has a minimum of an 80% efficiency rating.
3: Also no mention of an OS, with 8GB or more of Ram you will get the best out of a 64-bit OS such as W7 however there may be implications here if you are not using one of the free OS types such as Linux, again see my canned speech below;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

I know the OS info is a bit heavy but we must ensure that you do not fall foul of the law if you do not know this.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
hi there mate thankyou for your advice is it is extremely helpful!
first up will the hd radeon 6950 powercolor be good enough to perform for my level with gaming on ultra details? it says its a 2 gig card.also can this bugga be overclocked?? can i expect good results when cranking my games, bf3, mw3 ,diablo, wow on ultra detail?

no i havent purchased the ram, i have been referencing off the gaming machines on www.msy.com.au the machines basicly have the same parts as i have mentioned. i was hoping to get awesome mega ram so it will crank, ive had machines with 4gb memory and 8gb they were quick but as i tend to run multi applications on a regular basis it and it seemed to run a bit slow. it is the ram that helps this way isnt it?

for an operating system i was thinking windows xp. as with good hardware, not having a OS needing hardcore requirements would make a nice quick smooth running computer wouldnt it? i have a genuine boxed version of xp professional and home that i bought when xp was the "bees knees" or wouldnt something like vista or windows 7 be better? (although im not much of a fan, of vista anyway)

for the western digital hard drive , yes i thought it was a good brand my family has used this in previous times when 120gb hard drives were good and they always said western digital is the crap.

for the 2 blu ray drives honestly i dont pursay "need" them its more of a luxury thing i am still umming and ahhing about the 2 drives. basicly my dad use to use 2 dvd burners in his system and when he burned movies he would put the movie in the top drive and a blank disk in the bottom drive therefore taking away to hole changing discs thing when burning. i find this useful when im doing some fair hardcore burning in which i do every now and then in the way of i can set it up and go out for 45 minutes knowing when i come home my movie will be burnt instead of only just being read and needing a blank disc to burn. im not sure if you can do it with blu ray drives, but you could with the old dvds i just assumed you kind of could.

for the case i was thinking a ANTEC DARK FLEET DF-30 OR DF-35 im yet to find a good gamer case that has pretty cool lights in the fans and stuff etc. i havent bought the case yet either, please keep in mind i have not bought anything for this cpu, but i am intending of building a cpu in the next month, 1 fortnight im getting half the pc and the other fortnight the other half of the pc.

i have been snooping around on google and trying to figure out the best [bleep] system for my needs playing games etc on ultra details. some websites have been saying the AMD fx-8150 is the best bang for your buck and statistics have been showing me its a capable cpu, but i have been looking at intel i7 systems particulary the 2600k, bench test results from sites are telling me this sucker can be overclocked to a 5.2ghz with no worries, but ive been told at this stage you would wanna start looking at watercooling stuff, is this true? can i set the processor to run at like 4.8ghz with just aircool and not worry about the hole water cool thing, water cooling seems fairy over the top to me. i am willing to purchase better heat syncs and fans etc. will the intel i7 2600k thrash the amd fx-8150?

i am pretty much over the other side of the fence with siding on intels side with the cpu etc with other sites saying it is absoloutely killer. if the i7 2600k is better and my best option what is a good approved motherboard for it that will let me overclock. also will the hd radeon 6950 powercolor work with a intel motherboard? or will i have to hit something different up? if so what could be recommended that pumps? please keep in mind ive only got a budget of around $1000-$1100 (that kind of money can go far at www.msy.com.au and ebay etc.)

sorry for the massive essay just trying to reap all the info i can before i start buying

cheers guys ledgends look forward to ya reply

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
also i do not know what PSU to use, i was hoping to round up all the major parts and then ask for peoples opinion on what sort of PSU to power the computer, if anyone has a rough scale on what PSU i should use by seeing whats on this thread so far , PLEASE im all ears.

also one more thing im all ears about other intel cpus etc around the budget mark of $200-possibly $350. please just let me know the model etc and tell me a bit about it e.g. its ghz, what its potential can be, what its ideal for etc and so on

thanks a million
cheers

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 05:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

also i do not know what PSU to use, i was hoping to round up all the major parts and then ask for peoples opinion on what sort of PSU to power the computer, if anyone has a rough scale on what PSU i should use by seeing whats on this thread so far , PLEASE im all ears.

also one more thing im all ears about other intel cpus etc around the budget mark of $200-possibly $350. please just let me know the model etc and tell me a bit about it e.g. its ghz, what its potential can be, what its ideal for etc and so on

thanks a million
cheers

Assuming that you fit only one HDD http://www2.corsair....lse&vc_oc=False The TX650W would be my choice as the headroom allows for future upgrades.

I will do you an example list of what you can expect to get for your budget, I will add the items as I find them using the Edit feature.

Just a FYI I am not a fan of overclocking as it will shorten the life expectancy of components.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
what kind of life shortening does overclocking do? if a base processor sits at 3.4ghz lets say the i7 2600k, if i notch it up to say 4gig or 4.2gig? i notice some other guys crank it up to 5.2ghz and sometimes 6ghz with water cooling. thankyou for whipping me up a list man your a ledgend please let me know what kind of performance i would be getting out of it to if thats ok? i owe ya one man!

one more thing with the life expectancy situation will the processor last more then a few years being overclocked because if it is going to bring a 10 year life down to 5 years it wouldnt really matter because i would of upgraded to a better system by then anyway. does this sound right in anyway or should i be expecting the cpu to cark it in a years time or less if i overclock it? and when it says you can jump to 4.0gig am i reaping the performance of an actual 4.0gig processor?

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 06:15 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

what kind of life shortening does overclocking do?

Forgive this most basic answer, Cheetahs can reach speeds of up to 100km per hour but they cannot do it over a long spell of time before needing a rest/slow down/stop or their heart and lungs will give out, your MB and CPU are the very heart of the computer and the same applies.

Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066 has removable - washable dust filters, a must for keeping things cool and efficient.

MB: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157271 pci-e 3.0 and Ivy Bridge capable allowing for future upgrades when the initial costs of the improved hardware comes down.

MBs QVL http://www.asrock.co...8 Extreme3 Gen3

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072 for me the best bang for your buck processor for a long time, the cores are unlocked and so can be overclocked unlike some versions of the CPU**

Ram: http://www.newegg.co...-8GBXL&x=16&y=6

HDD: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136533 personally I would opt for using a 60GB SSD for the OS for faster boot times and a second HDD for data only.

Video card: - two suggestions, both are good cards but there is a differance in price
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150563 or http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130652

Blu Ray burner: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106369

CPU = Central Processing Unit or Processor for short.
Hows it going iammykyl

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
very nice i like the setup, i have heard the i5 2500k is not much different to the 2600k and 2700k is this true?
what could i overclock this system to and at a stable level of course? i would like to reach a decent mark particulary the 4.0gig

would this all slapped together pump and be a good system to show off to my mates when playing my games in awesome detail etc.

also i notcied you didnt recommend a good graphics card i am willing to spend a bit on this. any suggestions ?

cheers for your time mate cant thank you enough

also i am not expecting to keep this system for 10 years, computers update quickly i like to keep up with it, so even if there is a processor that will only last 5 years pursay but will clock high speeds i am fine with it in a sense, but i have heard the i5 2500k does pump

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 06:43 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
if i had the money would an i7 be more optional or is the i5 perform on the same lvl?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I have omitted the PSU for now until you decide on all other components.
Your Xp disk would be ok to use if it is not already installed on another computer with the product key having been used also if it is only the 32-bit version it will not recognise more than 4GB of Ram.

i have heard the i5 2500k is not much different to the 2600k and 2700k is this true?

The answer to this is down to the cost, compare the price to performance of both and you will see that for the slight performance improvement of the 2700k it costs a lot of money.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
well from what i gather its like this with the cpus

intel i5 2500k = 3.3ghz $224 can supposebly clock up to 4.5gig sweet as with sufficient cooling (from what ive gathered correct me if im wronng)
intel i7 2600k = 3.4ghz $293 can supposebly clock up to 5.2gig no worries with sufficient cooling " "
intel i7 2700k = 3.5ghz $335 can supposebly clock up to 6 gig no sweat with sufficient coolng " "

please keep in mind this is just info ive read on review sites , how to's, forum advice and topics and magazines.

in my opinion the i5 will hold up to my needs but for $60 more i could get the i7 2600k cpu that can go that bit harder if i need it to although i would only have it sitting around 4.0gig - 4.2 gig. as i said im not holding on to this forever it only has to last me 4-5 years until i update to a new system.

could i throw an i7 2600k on the QVL MB you recommended? or am i simply just better off going with the i5 that you recommended? ( i am happy to save an additional $60 for something that can crank a bit more harder if i need it to.) also i am aware i will have to invest in proper cooling fans and heat syns if im overclocking.

the graphics card you recommened the Radeon hd 6870 2GB, is this the same performance and or better than the powercolor 6950 just $50 cheaper?

*edit* also about the RAM if i was able to get 8gb sticks would these pump the system up that bit more? or say if i did 2x 8 gb sticks and 2x 4gb? or similar combos?

*edit i am sure it is a x64 OS, from what i remember :S can you remember if most versions had it? haha

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 07:26 AM.