Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Amd fx8150 please need a hand.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

AMD fx8150 processor 3.6ghz normal turboed 4.2ghz

M5A99X-EVO motherboard

HD radeon 6950 powercolor graphics card

16gb of memory

2 blu ray writer drives

1tb western digital hdd

Regarding the Mobo and CPU. As I stated in my original post to you #4, If yuou want a top performing gaming rig, Intel is the way to go.

This is a some what simple but general way for looking at a build
For a workstation, rig used for photo/video editing, CAD and the like, The most powerful multi core CPU you can afford + a video card optimized for highest quality colour reproduction like a Quadro 4000 (cheapish at $450) + Min. 16GB RAM. and more.

For your gaming rig the CPU and video card need to be balanced. You would not put an Intel i3 with a GTX 570, the system would be bottlenecked by the CPU.

But you must not go to high with CPU as the return in performance for $ gets less and less, so you should put the money elsewhere in the system, Quality case, with very good airflow, so you can build in it for years, + PSU, + video card.

Please give us a budget so we can spec a rig to fit.

I know you have heaps of questions, we will answer them as we go along.

We will probable use Newegg to list parts.

But I use this site for pricingmy build parts.

http://www.staticice...u/advanced.html

Edited by iammykyl, 11 March 2012 - 07:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
I agree with iammykyl who BTW knows more about O/Cing than I do, the balance is vital, I could have suggested a better Nvidea card but was mindful of your overall budget http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127608

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf exact place of where i will be purchasing from. they are pretty cheap for the QVL MB you suggested they only charge $125 and the 2600k is $293-$315 etc theyre not to bad.

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 07:34 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i have $1100 to blow on just parts that is without the case. i would like something in the i5/i7 series preferrable 2500k,2600k something with 2 blu ray drives, awesome graphics , ram etc. i would like to overclock the cpu a bit im leaning towards the 2600k as it will be less overclocking to reach the 4.0ghz 4.2 mark can i acheive this?

please let us know what i should rig up, i am completely converted to intel but want something decent!, please remember im not out for this machine to last the century i upgrade every few years.

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 07:40 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I agree with iammykyl who BTW knows more about O/Cing than I do, the balance is vital, I could have suggested a better Nvidea card but was mindful of your overall budget http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127608

thanks mate muchly appreciated.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

AMD fx8150 processor 3.6ghz normal turboed 4.2ghz

M5A99X-EVO motherboard

HD radeon 6950 powercolor graphics card

16gb of memory

2 blu ray writer drives

1tb western digital hdd

Regarding the Mobo and CPU. As I stated in my original post to you #4, If yuou want a top performing gaming rig, Intel is the way to go.

This is a some what simple but general way for looking at a build
For a workstation, rig used for photo/video editing, CAD and the like, The most powerful multi core CPU you can afford + a video card optimized for highest quality colour reproduction like a Quadro 4000 (cheapish at $450) + Min. 16GB RAM. and more.

For your gaming rig the CPU and video card need to be balanced. You would not put an Intel i3 with a GTX 570, the system would be bottlenecked by the CPU.

But you must not go to high with CPU as the return in performance for $ gets less and less, so you should put the money elsewhere in the system, Quality case, with very good airflow, so you can build in it for years, + PSU, + video card.

Please give us a budget so we can spec a rig to fit.

I know you have heaps of questions, we will answer them as we go along.

We will probable use Newegg to list parts.

But I use this site for pricingmy build parts.

http://www.staticice...u/advanced.html

thanks for taking the time to answer all my bs questions you guys are probs going insane haha cheers man

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are most welcome and we are always happy to help so ask as many Qs as you need to.
The retailer that you provided the link to looks reasonable for your build costs :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

Hows it going iammykyl

Going good thanks Phillpower2, just enjoying a couple of beers after sweating off the proverbials gardening in 31C.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Hows it going iammykyl

Going good thanks Phillpower2, just enjoying a couple of beers after sweating off the proverbials gardening in 31C.

:cheers:
The closest I will get to a beer today but enjoying putting my feet up which is a bonus :mellow:

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

You are most welcome and we are always happy to help so ask as many Qs as you need to.
The retailer that you provided the link to looks reasonable for your build costs :thumbsup:

thankyou yeah msy are not to bad only a 20 minute drive from my house :P, they do online ordering to but i just go in there, you have to know what you want though techs in there are pretty useless....

you enjoy them beers mate im jealous!
thankyou i will ask as we crank along.

what you thinking up for a system mate?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
OK to go with the 2600K

Your budget, $1,100 Is that OZZIE?

Go to the below site, register so you can save your list. Be sure to select your country, top right. You can still search later for the very cheapest deals, but this will give you some idea of your spend.

http://pcpartpicker....parts/partlist/

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
[quote name='phillpower2' timestamp='1331468750' post='2131272']

HDD: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136533 personally I would opt for using a 60GB SSD for the OS for faster boot times and a second HDD for data only.

please explain the 60gn ssd? faster booting times from it? what is this trendy new method i dont know about?

also i will be using an external harddrive for all my media like videos music etc.

can you install your games on an external hdd and just leave it plugged in or must this be saved to the internal harddrive?

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 08:08 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

OK to go with the 2600K

Your budget, $1,100 Is that OZZIE?

Go to the below site, register so you can save your list. Be sure to select your country, top right. You can still search later for the very cheapest deals, but this will give you some idea of your spend.

http://pcpartpicker....parts/partlist/

yeh thats Aussie dollars.

am i going to achieve the 4.0gig mark with stability?
with:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
MB: Asrock Z68 GEN3 EXTREME3
RAM: 2x 8gb 2x 4 gb
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit
DRIVE: 2x blu ray writer
HDD: 1tb WD hdd
PSU: ?? unsure of what to get
CASE: ANTEC DARK FLEET DF-30 OR DF-35

will this run stable at that 4 gig mark when being overclocked? even that bit higher if i have to raise it for somethings?
also how do i get an SD card slot for the pc, you know the ones that take the camera cards etc to transfer media and so forth

last but not least is this good enough to show off to me mates hahah will it rock my world?

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 08:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

please explain the 60gn ssd? faster booting times from it? what is this trendy new method i dont know about?

Due to the severe flooding in Thailand last year (where many HDDs are made) the cost of HDDs went through the roof, SSDs which have been around for a long time and which have now improved dramatically in performance and reliability were a cost effective addition to a new build as you could then save money on purchasing a second smaller HDD for storing data only on.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233223 60GB is adequate for your OS + your favorite game, read the Newegg feedback tab, the Patriot brand at your link looks ok.

Card reader http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820223109

Edited by phillpower2, 11 March 2012 - 08:40 AM.
Additional link added.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Due to the severe flooding in Thailand last year (where many HDDs are made) the cost of HDDs went through the roof, SSDs which have been around for a long time and which have now improved dramatically in performance and reliability were a cost effective addition to a new build as you could then save money on purchasing a second smaller HDD for storing data only on.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233223 60GB is adequate for your OS + your favorite game, read the Newegg feedback tab, the Patriot brand at your link looks ok.

interesting so i install my OS to that harddrive and have another hardrive for data? would that be necessary if installed my OS on my 1tb WD hdd and saved everything else to an external hardrive like all my games etc? or do they perform on a whole new level?? is it worth it to get 2 mini ones one for an OS and the other for a few fav games? also could i run an OS on a 60gb 1 and back up some data on it and have another running a few fav games?

i quoted all the above parts i mentioned on the link iamkyal dude gave me, im looking at $1050 , is this system going to pump and be awesome, id hate to go buy it all and it dont go good at all

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.