Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amd fx8150 please need a hand.

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

so i install my OS to that harddrive and have another hardrive for data?

Correct, this will make your system more efficient.

would that be necessary if installed my OS on my 1tb WD hdd and saved everything else to an external hardrive like all my games etc?

If you wanted to you could simply fit the 60GB SSD and save everything to your external HDD doing away with the second internal HDD in the process, I wouldn`t recommend it though as you need somewhere to back your data up to for safe keeping, bare in mind though that 1TB is an awful lot of data to lose should the HDD fail.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
CPU, yes

Mobo, Yes.

RAM, NO. You will get little or no performance gain when gaming. 2 x 4GB = 8GB

HDD, OK but if you can find this one, change. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840
Benchmark, http://www.harddrive...000DM003-9YN162

GPU OK.

Blu-ray? You are talking about copy on the fly and I do not know if this possible, you will need to do a bit of Googleing, You will also need to look carefully at any software that may or may not be included. From what I have read, most is very limiting or rubbish.

will this run stable at that 4 gig mark when being overclocked? even that bit higher if i have to raise it for somethings?

Yes and Yes, on the stock cooler.

MSY is good, I also have one ten minutes away.

Give us a link to the parts picker site so we can see your spend so far, will give us selection options.

last but not least is this good enough to show off to me mates hahah will it rock my world?

Definitely.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

CPU, yes

Mobo, Yes.

RAM, NO. You will get little or no performance gain when gaming. 2 x 4GB = 8GB

HDD, OK but if you can find this one, change. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840
Benchmark, http://www.harddrive...000DM003-9YN162

GPU OK.

Blu-ray? You are talking about copy on the fly and I do not know if this possible, you will need to do a bit of Googleing, You will also need to look carefully at any software that may or may not be included. From what I have read, most is very limiting or rubbish.

will this run stable at that 4 gig mark when being overclocked? even that bit higher if i have to raise it for somethings?

Yes and Yes, on the stock cooler.

MSY is good, I also have one ten minutes away.

Give us a link to the parts picker site so we can see your spend so far, will give us selection options.

last but not least is this good enough to show off to me mates hahah will it rock my world?

Definitely.

ok awesome now im getting some progress, is the graphics card ok in your opinion? and will the extra ram give me more performance when ive got heaps of applications open?

http://pcpartpicker....newbloke/saved/

please keep in mind i have no idea if the ram i selected fits or the hard drive but please change it around to how you feel it will be a nutter computer heheheh. or the graphics card!! i selected one random card around the $250 mark same as the gtx 560 that philpower recommended above just to jack the pricing in substitute of the real one i want i couldnt find it, im a noob lol

also how is 2x 8gb slots =16gb and 2x 4gb = 8gb total =24gb ram not advantageous? will it not recognise or something, or just no compatible?

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 09:14 AM.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i will have to study the thing you said about the blu rays yes copy on the fly that is the term. i am sure there would be something that would do this method software wise. ill have to look around i will just do the system as i am using 2 blu rays for final pricing and PSU selection

*edit* im sure you can copy on the fly with blu ray just gotta have the software, some bloke was running 4 blu ray drives

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 09:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

also how is 2x 8gb slots =16gb and 2x 4gb = 8gb total =24gb ram not advantageous? will it not recognise or something, or just no compatible?

I think I have confused you.

I was saying, you do not need 16GB of RAM, Most games will not max out 3Gb.

So I am saying that you only Need 8GB RAM. That is 2 sticks of 4GB = 8GB.

Remove the Geil RAM from your list.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ohh i understand now haha, should i remove completely and not replace with 4gb slots? or just simply stick with 8gb?

i run alot of multiple applications will it be enough to handle me?

the ram is removed from the list for now though making it only have 2x 4gb

list is updated to the seagate hdd and ram is removed. **edit**

Edited by Thenewbloke, 11 March 2012 - 09:35 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
8Gb will do you fine.

Signing off now, Phillpower2 may still e about as he is in the UK.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
no worries cheers for that, im off 2 i reckons getting late...

thanks for the advice everyone ill be back on tommorrow morning

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I will catch up with you both tomorrow, for the record I recommended the type of HDD that I did for it`s longer warranty :thumbsup:

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I will catch up with you both tomorrow, for the record I recommended the type of HDD that I did for it`s longer warranty :thumbsup:

thanks mate as long as it performs as well im happy, extended warranty is always a big plus though in anyones pocket.

catchyas tommorrow

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your welcome :thumbsup:

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok so back on topic to this system my list consists of this so far:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k overclocked to 4.0-4.2ghz
MB: Asrock Z68 GEN3 EXTREME3
RAM: 2x 4 gb
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit
DRIVE: 2x blu ray writer for on the fly burning
HDD: 3.5"in 1tb seagate barracuda 64mb 7200rpm
PSU: ?? unsure of what to get
CASE: ANTEC DARK FLEET DF-30 OR DF-35
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

what psu should i be looking at to power all of this?

*fingers crossed this baby pumps*

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Blu-ray, You can copy on the fly but because of Copy Protection much is stripped out and you end up with DVD quality.
You can copy and store on the HDD
The Gray area. You can copy to the HDD and if you own the material, you can copy to blu-ray, there is commercial software available. Any material you do not own and burn to another media is illegal and is piracy. I do not know if you can do it on the fly.

As you are somewhat constrained by your budget, I recommend only buying one Blu-ray burner and deciding after some more research if it it worth/feasible/wise to get second one.

You will need software to play your disks. This is a very good, free, Blu-ray, DVD CD player, http://digiarty.com//
PSU. http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/2m1H 650w modular, goods amps on the 12v rail, suitable for one high end video card but has plenty of wiggle room allowing extra peripheral hardware.

Can you update you parts picker list and post the URL again. Thanks.

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
very wise advice i will purchase one blu ray drive and will think about another one later on down the track with research being done. no illegal burning here, like you have mentioned quality gets stripped etc, i do however like to backup my own blu rays that i have purchased as back up copys as my friends tend to scratch discs when i lend them out :( so having a burnt copy is a peace of mind.

i will update the parts picker price list right now.... bear with me for one minute.

so all in all this all suitable for overclocking, gaming and showing off to my friends?

Thenewbloke

Thenewbloke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
http://pcpartpicker....newbloke/saved/

all updated with the psu.

unsure of what blu ray writer, there is only a couple in the selection.

**edit** also i have a copy of any dvd hd + blu ray support, will this not do the job for backing up my blu rays and keeping some of the quality?

Edited by Thenewbloke, 12 March 2012 - 06:50 AM.