Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN settings for broadband [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Manku

Manku

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Please excuse me if I do not seem familiar with exact terms.

I have a wired network at home, running 2 computers on Windows XP and 1 on Windows 98.

Decided to go in for broadband connection. D-Link DSL 502-T router was directly connected to one of the Windows XP computers (ethernet cable from router was connected to the computer). Now I don't know how to:
1. connect this computer to other computers through the hub
2. access router and internet from other computers.

This set up does not involve the hub which was being used by the LAN earlier. How to incorporate.

For information:
IP address of the internet connected computer now is "obtain IP address automatically". Earlier it was 192.168.0.1
IP address of router is 192.168.1.1
The router is configured to work as DHCP server.

Please help. If other information is required, please tell me.

Manku

Advertisements

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Right is possible try and connect this way..

The internet is directly into the router.

And each device connects to the router.

As for the IPs that settup wouldnt work. The router can use the 192.168.0.1, but all other devices connected to that routed will be 192.168.0.2 and .3 etc.

I think any way?

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i would put everything in the hub:
alle the pc s and the dsl router into the hub
put the pc's on dhcp and see what happends

Rik

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello Manku and Welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Rico is pretty close. On the back of your broadband modem, there is an ethernet port. Plug a standard patch cable (should have been included with both the modem and router if both are new) from that ethernet port to the WAN port on the router. From there, plug standard patch cables from the other ports on the router(normally labeled 1-4) into the NIC's on the PC's. Since DHCP is already set up on the router, you should only have to set each machine to "Obtain address automatically". Then go into the properties of the NIC on each machine and make sure that the following is there and checked.

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (only if you plan on sharing files and printers.
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). <---- This is the option that should be set to "Obtain information automatically

Once this is done, on both computers, (just to be sure) open a command prompt by clicking Start>Run; type cmd. Then type ipconfig /release, once command is complete and back to prompt, type; ipconfig /renew This should show you then that it is receiving a DHCP address of 192.168.1.100 (most likely address, anything similar would be correct). If DHCP is NOT working, you will receive an address of 169.254.?.?. This means that either your router is not handing out DHCP, OR, you may be using the wrong type of ethernet cable to attach the two. If that is the problem, then we will handle it after your post back.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Once this is complete, your computer should be able to see each other and they both should receive the internet.

Manku

Manku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you all for your time and effort.

With regards your suggestion, I would like to explain my setup. In includes:
1. A hub having 8 ethernet ports, with no separate uplink port
2. DSL modem cum router has 4 sockets for:
a) ADSL phone line
b) Ethernet socket
c) USB socket
d) Power cord

I tried connecting the ethernet cable to the hub, alongwith other computers, none works.
As regards WAN port, there is none on the hub.

I have gone through the DSL Router manual. It says one can connect the ethernet cable to either a switch or a hub, with either a straight or a crossed cable, depending on the presence or absence of an uplink port. What is this?

I really appreciate the trouble all of you are taking to help me.

Manku

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
u need an n-way switch i think and connect ur router to that and ur pc's to the n-way switch

Edited by stuart813, 04 June 2005 - 05:30 AM.

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
do lights blink up on the swicht/hub for each device when you plug it in? does your pc receive an ip adress from the router? can you ping the router?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok Manku, that last post helped alot. I didn't know that the DSL-502T was a Modem AND a router. All you should have to do, is connect a cross-over cable from the ethernet port on the modem/router, to one of the ports on the hub/switch. Then use standard patch cables from the other computers to the hub/switch. Specs on the modem/router say it can serve DHCP so try setting the IP properties to Obtain Automatically. As long as the DHCP server is already enabled, you should have no problems after that.

When holding both ends of cable, one end in each hand, tabs down.

Standard Patch Cable Wiring order:
end1 - orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white, brown
end2 - orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white, brown

Cross-over cable Wiring order:
end1 - orange/white, orange, green/white, blue, blue/white, green, brown/white, brown
end2 - green/white, green, orange/white, blue, blue/white, orange, brown/white, brown

After getting, and connecting the wires as explained above, you should have connection.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Manku

Manku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Bull's eye!

I am now able to use all my computers with internet connection.

Thank you all, sp Greazy. Thanks a ton.

Manku