Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TOSHIBA a105-s1014

• Please log in to reply

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
1st off thanks for any help. this is a Toshiba laptop that was dropped and broke its screen. Ive carefully replaced the old LED screen with a new one seems to be ok. Now when I try to start it we get to the 1st splash screen that gives the option of F2 for bios or F8 the set boot priority. the progress bar is about 2/3 done. this is where it stays. I can not enter bios with F2 or change boot priority. I have tried to use Esc to open bios and that shows ram check and a few details about the system and gives option of F2 to enter bios but with the same results, it wont do anything. I have seen a youtube video that says this can be fixed by removing a sodered battery from the mobo. Is that correct? It means totally disassembling
the unit. The video is on a toshiba but it looks to be a bit different from mine.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
What you describe means that your MB may be ok as the BIOS chip is being read, your problem I fear is that your HDD was also damaged when the system was dropped so your operating system is failing to load, do you have data on the HDD that you wish to secure?

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Well I do think the hd is OK I've tried replacing that. plus it can't bootup from CD drive. I'm sure its set as 1st option for booting. I use Linux live disks all the time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Lets see if the HDD is listed in the BIOS plus check your boot order, not all Toshiba products are the same so first try this method: Boot the system up and hold down the‘Esc’ key, then press F1 when you get the check system message.
You are then in the BIOS Setup and you can make any changes and then save and exit by pressing the ‘End’ key.
Let us know the results please.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
it will not open to the bios. I've used the Esc F1. it opens a new screen that looks like it checks system ram and so on last thing that page shows is Press F2 to enter bios.
here is a link to photobucket to see what I see with ESC F1.

http://s906.photobuc.../odds and ends/

Edited by trucker, 11 March 2012 - 05:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Try this option; boot the system up and hold down the ‘F2’ key.
If you get into the BIOS Setup can you see a HDD listed, if so you can make your changes and save and exit by selecting the 'Save Changes' option.

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
thats no good it freezes.If i press it after I get splash screen nothing happens, if I press it as it starts to open splash screen it freeze saying please wait.

Edited by trucker, 11 March 2012 - 06:13 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Try restoring the BIOS settings to their default values by booting the system up and holding down the‘Esc’ key, then press F1 to reset to default settings when prompted.

Is the HDD that is presently fitted blank or does it have data on it?

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
the HDD was setup to run Windows XP. now when you say hold ESC key all it will goto is the screen I posted to photobucket. nothing else from that. I saw on a post from youtube this is common with toshiba and a soldered battery must removed to restore the bios. but that video looked like the laptop was not the same model as mine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

the HDD was setup to run Windows XP

If the HDD is out of another machine then it will not have the appropriate drivers on it for the notebook and so it will not boot, that said it would not prevent you from entering the BIOS and changing the boot sequence.

The option to change your boot sequence would appear to only be accessible on the original HDD, see http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663 see the user guide tab.

I came across this suggestion, with the notebook turned off take out the main battery, unplug the power cord then when plugging back in hold down the zero key & power on button, hold down for 45 seconds then go into setup load bios default then save and exit.
I hope this works for you.

Advertisements

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
thanks for trying. holding power plus zero key does nothing. guess I a choice drop it off for repair or tear it down and look for that battery. from what I see it never gets to the HHD to see it before it hangs. the OP SYS was fine plus this is not seeing CD drive to boot from it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
This is all I can find but it does not suggest anything different http://uk.computers....&FID=0000000401

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
well good news. turns out it is hanging because of the CD player I removed it and she booted right into windows so get a new drive and I'm good.
Thanks for keeping me thinking.:-) now i just have to remember to mark this solved.
now I cry. CD player is held in by a clip. I it on upside down and broke the a piece off the Motherboard, so i still have to tear it all the way down.

Edited by trucker, 11 March 2012 - 03:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Ouch :upset:
Repairing a notebook motherboard is not normally an option due to the financial implications.
Use an external USB DVD/CD drive perhaps!

trucker

trucker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
ok found a new MOBO on ebay so I'm going to give this a shot.