Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you safley delete the randomly named hot fix folders from C:

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
having an issue where windows doesn't seem able to remove the folders on C: with random names like 830d0662b8e920e144c25590. all i know about these is they take up alltogether too much space on the harddrive there are hundreds of them and they seem to be temporary folders generated by extracting data during hot fix installs. let me know if i am on the right track and if there is a safe way to remove these.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Give Unlocker a try.

If you've ever been unable to delete a file in Windows, and can't figure out what program's using it, Unlocker is the solution. Have you ever seen these Windows error messages?

Cannot delete folder: It is being used by another person or program
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

Unlocker can help! Simply right-click the folder or file and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear. Simply click Unlock All and you are done!

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
so i is safe to simply delete them ?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If they were used to install from then yes. If they are being used by some installed software then you ay have problems.

The better method would be to rename them first, maybe add a -xxx to the end of the name, then reboot and see what happens. If all is well then delete. If not put them back.

I think Unlocker will allow you to rename as well as delete.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
worked fine just deleting them. it is actually faster to just update my ghost and reimage if something goes wrong renaming takes time

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you have a good backup I agree. That is what I would do. Many people don't though.