Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Desktop

• Please log in to reply

eaglet

eaglet

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I rebooted my laptop and while it was booting up to Windows 7 i got a message on screen saying Preparing Your Desktop.... but when it came on my desktop had gone and it was showing the basic windows desktop. I now cant change some things like making the taskbar show small icons. I cant remove some of the desktop icons and it seems to have changed my keyboard as the " and @ keys have reversed. I tried a system restore but this made no difference.

An additional problem is that I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger 2009. I am getting error code 84cc0020. I have followed the instructions here http://windowslivehe...71-8b44fe19383b but to no avail.

Edited by eaglet, 11 March 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello eaglet...

I'm not sure what happened here, but let's look at a few things.

Open Control Panel...on the upper right (under the Search field) use the dropdown menu for "View by:" to select "Large Icons". Locate "Region and Language" and open it. Under the "Location" tab, make sure that the proper location is selected...in your case, United Kingdom should be selected. If it doesn't show the proper location, use the dropdown menu to select it and apply the change.

Let me know what you find and if making a change there changes the way your keyboard and mouse work.

wannabe1

eaglet

eaglet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Looks like the profile was corrupted :/ I have set up another profile with administrator rights and that seems to be fine. Only problem is I don't have any of my data like Firefox bookmarks and iTunes music and playlists. Is there anyway of picking these up automatically of do I have to do it manually?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
while wannabe1 is off playing golf... :happy:
To copy files to the new user profile go here for the lowdown

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts