Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combining my two old computers to make a "new"

• Please log in to reply

ereveton

ereveton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys.
I want to make clear that i don't know very much about computers(hardware) but i'm learning because that's what i study at college.I need your help.
I have two old desktops,one is 10 y.o. and the other one 6 y.o.
The first one just died,it's motherboard is dead,his hard drive and everything else is ok.The younger one,is very powerfull,has a brand new graphics card,but his sound card is dead,and he has some issues with his motherboard,some cables are not attached well.
So i'm thinking to c have the sound card of the first one to the second,so i can have a working pc.
That's my simple idea,and something that i can do with some help.
My second and more extreme idea is to make a new,powerfull pc.Get everything from the first and attach it to the second.So i have some questions here.Can i have both of the RAMs?So 2G + 2G = 4G RAM?
I can have both of the HD to one pc so i can have more "built-in" memory,and i can use all the fans!
So,is it possible?If yes,i'll start right away to do it!If not,then i'll be just sad :P

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts
:welcome: ereveton
We need some details about the components that you have, can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the old motherboard (MB) and the same for the newer MB.
This will tell us if your Ram and video card are compatible, we will also need to know your power supply (PSU) details so we can check if it has enough power for your new video card.