Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java question

• Please log in to reply

Lumen

Lumen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi all!
My question may sound really stupid but i really don't know things about computer.
Ok so here it is: i have a 64 bit operating system and a java 32 bit. Do i need to install java 64 bit? And what will change this to my computer?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

You do not say which Operating system

Lets take Windows 7 64 bit as an example

Although the operating system is 64 bit, it includes 32 bit systems, so most 32 bit programs and applications including IE can be run. What cannot be used are devices that require drivers to be installed, and for which there are NO 64 bit drivers. As drivers must be 64 bit. Si if for instance you connected a printer - it must have a driver for 64 bit.
If it does not, it will not work.

So the answer is
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=23332

that is 64 bit IE for 64 bit windows 7.
and here is the link for IE for 64 bit Vista
http://www.microsoft...ang=en&id=11822

Now to Java
http://java.com/en/d...va_win64bit.xml

and here is the explanation
64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.

with full supporting documents
http://windows.micro...asked-questions

If the O/S is Windows 7 64 bit then your default browser is IE 32 bit. However there is, most likely on your start menu a link to IE 64 bit - that cannot be made the default browser. The default must be the 32 bit.By default, when you click the Internet Explorer shortcut on the desktop, Internet Explorer 9 32-bit is started. Internet Explorer 32-bit is also launched by default when you launch a website from another application. Although you can use an alternative browser as the default browser, you can't use Internet Explorer 64-bit as your default browser.

Finally here is a link to a number of references regarding it.

http://answers.micro...f6-a9416d65f981

and IE 64 bit will use approximately 2Gb of ram I think. Although the finer points if 64 bit IE are not within my area of knowledge.

I do know that unless you are notified that a particular application on a website requires a 64 bit browser, you are best sating with the usual default 32 bit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Lumen

You joined GeesktoGo on 11 March and asked for help.
A reply with a suggestion was posted within 5 hours and you have never responded.
Would you please indicate if the problem has been solved.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dear Macboatmaster,

thank you so much for responding to my question. I am so sorry that i haven't been able to respond these days. My laptop's battery was destroyed and i couldn't find some free time to buy a new one. My schedule is full of classes and lessons.

The answer that you gave me was perfect. I understund much more than i asked! Thank you so much :)

So i am using 64 bit OS windows 7. But i have to ask how i see if i am using IE 32 bit version or IE 64 bit version. On the links you gave me it concluded this asnwer: allt + H to open the help menu. But i press these buttons and nothings happens :/
I must say also that i have been dealing with some problems with IE. For example there is a forum that i can't post with IE 9 but i can with google chrome. When i try to post a message it says that i must lengthen my message at least 10 characters. Also sometimes when i want to type in the bar a website, and i have my mother tongue(greek) and i want to change it to english it doesn't. How can i 'fix' these problems?

Again thank you so much and sorry for being late to respond.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for responding.
As said you will be by default on a 32 bit browser

Verify if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit browser

Internet Explorer
  • Launch Internet Explorer browser.
  • Click on the Help tab at the top.
  • Select About Internet Explorer which will bring up an information window.
If version of IE displays 64-bit Edition, then it is 64-bit IE, otherwise it is a 32-bit browser.

Firefox
To determine whether you are running on a 64-bit version of Firefox, use either of these methods.
  • Check the About Firefox panel
  • Type in the browser address about:support
If you running 64-bit Firefox, it may be indicated as 64-bit (e.g., Win64); otherwise it is a 32-bit version of Firefox.

and as mentioned

and here is the explanation
64-bit Windows operating systems (which may be Windows 7, Vista or XP) come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer (IE) browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. These operating systems also include a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser, however using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.

Insofar as relates to the forum and the mention of the 10 characters, I am sorry but I cannot help there. Many forums have their own rules, for instance some will not allow a search on words of less than four characters or some will not allow a search on certain words.
The best advice I can give you is to ask ON the FORUM and I feel sure the forum adimin will provide the answer.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok now it's all clear! Thanks!

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh and i am using the 32 bit version! I found helpful this website http://windows.micro...rnet-Explorer-9

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting.
Which version of windows 7 please
ie Ultimate etc.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ηm what do you mean which version of windows 7? I do not know such a thing. If you want explain it so i can learn more.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Ηm what do you mean which version of windows 7?

See my screenshot - MINE Windows 7 Profesional

[attachment=56715:Untitled.jpg]

start
right click
Computer
click properties

. If you want explain it so i can learn more.

Here endeth this lesson. :lol:

However futher lessons may of course continue if you wish.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
windows 7 home premium!

Aw thank you :D I am such a newbie aren't i?
I google and i found this page http://www.sevenforu...7-editions.html
i really don't know anything about my windows :o

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It does lower down the page under system type - say 64 bit operating sysytem
I presume.

Are you trying to tell me something you have noticed on the link or was it just a statement for interest purposes please.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh yes i don't know where to start from. Any recommendations please?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In repect of the language - Language packs are only available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise NOT for Home Premium.
http://windows.micro.../language-packs
You will no doubt find on the internet suggested methods of how you may install the laguage packs. - on Home Premium

PLEASE take my advice DO NOT be tempted you may end up with an installation that at best will function poorly with constant error messahes and at worst will not even load Windows
See this please
http://support.micro....com/kb/2105247

The only aspects you can change are limited and you access them from Control Panel Regions and Languages.
It will not help with the particular problem you mention.

Lumen

Lumen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Οk nice info! Again thx :D