Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad T61 BSOD

• Please log in to reply

joesquire

joesquire

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Hello

I have a ThinkPad T61 and I am currently having major problems with it, it started off while using XP, a BSOD appeared, OK I ignored it first time and carried on, restarted and then started using again, and then after that is is always coming up, so I reinstalled XP but yet it still happens, so i totally wiped the hard drive, and then ran Ubuntu live cd, and it crashes that, it all jsut freezes for no apparent reason.
So i tried installing XP again and while installing and it gets to around 10 mins to the finish of the installation it decides to bring up the BSOD. This is what comes up:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
{usual stuff}
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x9958DA50, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x805226A0)
so I restarted and once again 10 minutes from the end another BSOD comes up with a different screen:
PFN_LIST_CURRUPT
STOP: 0x0000004E (0x00000002, 0x00056EDE, 0x0007D6AF, 0x0000FB00)

So I am now really stuck. I am trying to fix this laptop for someone, and well it isn't happening.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi joesquire, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having..especially as you are trying to help someone out.
The fact that reinstalling(after a complete wipe) didn't help, together with the computer's inability to run a live Linux distro like Ubuntu is maybe pointing toward a hardware failure....

Ubuntu should run without there being a usable hard drive, so the first check should be the RAM...have you removed and replaced the RAM modules? (take all the usual personal safety and ESD (antistatic) precautions.

Make sure they are seated Ok when you replace them, then try and run Memtest.
after this it would be as well to run the hard drive manufacturer's disc checking utility, first run the short test and this is OK then try the long test, you can ignore the acoustuic test for the time being.
Utility available from here:
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Most Thinkpads have an IBM type diagnostic facility built in...have you tried this?
let us know things go
Regards
paws

joesquire

joesquire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
hello thank you for your reply.
i think i might have sorted it because i have taken the ram out and replaced it with other sticks, and fingers crossed it seems to have sorted it. just running tests now so we shall see!.
Thanks =)

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hijoesquire

i might have sorted it because i have taken the ram out and replaced it with other sticks, and fingers crossed it seems to have sorted it. just running tests now so we shall see!.

Thats good to hear...
Well done
:thumbsup:
Ram is always a first suspect on laptops...
Regards
paws