Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop sleep locks up router

• Please log in to reply

stormcat

stormcat

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, I confess, I did a little tweaking. I also installed some updates and an AIM upgrade (don't yell, I need it for my job). Every time the computer sleeps, it drops my internet connection. Not only that, when I resume, wireless cannot connect to router, so I have to manually disconnect the dang thing and reboot. This annoys my roommate, who takes courses online.

Any ideas where to start?

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

You may want to have a look through the PC's Power Options (in the control panel) and make sure your network/wireless card are set to maximum performance. If it happens again, do the following...

Press the Windows key and the letter "R" which will bring the "run" dialog up. Type "cmd" in the run box and press enter.
You should have a black box pop up on your screen. Type the following...

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This will, for all intents and purposes save you from rebooting.