Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezing on welcome startup screen?

• Please log in to reply

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Pretty straight forward question but i'd really like some help urgently as i'm in depserate need of my laptop! And the problem has sprung out of nowhere! I was watching a movie earlier today and it froze and the laptop continuously played the same sound out incredibly loudly (As it does when it frezes on exceptional circumstances i'm sure you know what i mean!) So i turned it off manually and rebooted it and it would not load past the welcome screen once logging in, i get the spinning circle for 10 seconds and then it freezes and stays like that, i can boot absolutely fine in Safe Mode and there is no problems whatsoever! How can i get back into normal mode so i can use all my programs?!

Thank you and i hope for a speedy reply! :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Vista or Windows 7?

Boot to Safe Mode, then type chkdsk /r and press Enter. You will get a message like this:

chkdsk /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Respond with a Y then reboot.
Let chkdsk run to completion.
It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

See if that helps.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

(As it does when it frezes on exceptional circumstances i'm sure you know what i mean!)

nope I don't know what you mean...
please explain what exceptional circumstances means