Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I change my hdd? Just bought a new laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello GTG. I recently purchased a new laptop.

This is the one:

http://www.shopping..../computer_store

I customized it to this.

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
2GB AMD Radeon™ HD 7690M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics™ [HDMI, VGA]
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

So yea, I thought it was going to be the [bleep], but two of my friends that bought a laptop a yearish ago both load games faster than me. I know that isn't everything but I was definitely disappointed. So I did some research and came to the conclusion that crappy hdd's can be the bottleneck in laptops/pc's, and the hdd that I purchased was the crappiest option available. I've done some research and found out there are SSD hdd's and hyrbid hdd's that are a combination of the two.
First thing:
How much of a difference do you think an upgrade to my hdd would make? Is it worth it going through the hassle? Is it truly 'bottle-necking' my system?
Should I simply get another hdd with 7200 rpm? Should I get a hybrid (they seem like a good balance of hdd space and speed)? Should I get a small SSD (because they're [bleep] expensive)? I do have a hdd that is 1.5TB that's currently in my old PC that I want to turn into an external. This kind of makes the small SSD hdd viable if it would make the most difference.

So what are your thoughts? I have no real hands on experience with these things, just things I've looked up on the internet, and most of the time there is contradicting advice/reviews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Zylocks
You post the exact same topic yesterday http://www.geekstogo...55#entry2131655

Please do not duplicate topics as it may lead to confusion and it is unfair on others who may need assistance.

Duplicate topic closed.