Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphic card

• Please log in to reply

Stephan De L'ange

Stephan De L'ange

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I started to have artifacts in my sims 2 game and then the pc would crash. I then updated the driver for my nvidia card but it stared doing it while window booted up. I don't really no much about computers but I think my graphic card is dead.

I'd love to have a card that's better then the one I have but not top of the line to play the Sims 2 and maybe be good enough to play the Sims 3 later on. I would really appreciate some suggestions because I don't have a clue what to buy. My budget is about 100$(CAN) but would like to pay even less.

INFO
Processor: Pentium Dual-core CPU E5800 3.20ghz
Memory: 3062MB RAM
PS: 500W (ac input 115/230v)
Video card: nvidia GF 7600gt 256mo ddr3 pcix
PCIex16 slot

Thank you.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi and welcome

If you take a look here you can find your current 7600GT card about halfway down the left column. To give a performance boost you would want to look at something at least 3 rows up from there. I would recommend something like the Nvidia GT 430 or GT 530, or the ATI HD5550. Check out those options and see if they suit your budget.

Cheers.

http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html

Edited by Troy, 12 March 2012 - 10:32 PM.
Forgot to add in link

Stephan De L'ange

Stephan De L'ange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the help. :) I did look at your link and did find two cards in my price range.
GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB or maybe a Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Would these be ok?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Possibly overkill considering the rest of the system. Also can you please let me know the exact make/model of the PSU? Also if you can get me a pic attached of the specs, usually on the side of the PSU. Where it shows Voltages and Watts and fun stuff like that.

Stephan De L'ange

Stephan De L'ange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, here it is: name-MIOS

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0071a.jpg

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
25A on the +12V rail is rather pitiful. I am not familiar with the brand name of this PSU so I strongly recommend not to go with either of the graphics cards you suggested in Post #3 unless you upgrade the PSU first.

If you don't want to (or can't afford right now) upgrade the PSU as well, then I would suggest this as a graphics card:

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16814121397

It's a few steps up on the chart so it will give you a bit of a performance boost, not too much though. But it is cheap enough I guess. If you wanted to upgrade any more than this I would start looking at major upgrades to the whole computer.

Stephan De L'ange

Stephan De L'ange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am going to take your suggestion and buy the GT430. I just can't afford to upgrade anything else at the moment and it's not to pricey.