Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with picking out CPU

• Please log in to reply

Splogaton

Splogaton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so this is my first time building a computer, so my knowledge is quite lacking.
So far I have this:

CPU:AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz 12MB Cache Socket AM3+ 95W "Unlocked" $149.00
HDD: Western Digital 500GB 3.5" Blue Edition SATA3 7200RPM 16MB Cache HDD $102.00
Motherboard:Asus M5A97 EVO AMD 970 ATX SB950 Socket AM3+ DDR3-2133 RAID USB3.0 SATA3 1394 eSATA CrossfireX
$155.00
Power Supply:Great Wall GW-750SEL 750W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140mm Fan Ultra-silent $99.00
RAM:Kingston DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Gaming Performance HyperX Memory Kit (2x4GB) CL9 Non-ECC Dimm $129.00
GPU:Sapphire HD6770 1G GDD5 DP PCI-E Video card ,Dual-link DVI-I / HDMI / Display Port , 850MHz / 1200MHz ( 11189-00-20G ) $159.00

All the prices are in NZ Dollars. I didn't include the DVD drive, I'm already set on that.

So, I did some poking around, and I found out that alot of people say the AMD FX-4100 preforms like a 2-core processor. If I change the processor, then I probably need to change the motherboard right?
So what processor do you recommend?
Preferable 4 core, AMD, not too much more than the one I already have listed.
I'm thinking about the AMD Phenom II X4 970, but it is a bit expensive, and I can't find it available in a store near me

I want 4-8GB RAM, decent graphics and a 4 core processor, 3.3GHz or more.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Splogaton, Posted Image

What will be the main use for the PC, office/browsing? HTPC? gaming? video/photo editing?
What would be your budget.?
Do you have an OS, OEM licence or retail licence?
You have an optical drive, do you have other hardware to bring to the build, IE. monitor, mouse etc.?

You have listed AMD parts, are you open to using Intel parts. For gaming performance, at nearly every price point, Intel is far better.

Review. http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3120.html

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Almost all motherboard makers maintain QVLs - qualified vendors lists - for CPUs and RAM they have tested and verified as compatible for their boards. You should buy a CPU from the list. There are too many RAM makers and models for board makers to test them all, however. So buy RAM with the same specs. Your QVLs are listed here.

I disagree that Intel CPUs are "far" better. While I happen to prefer Intel CPUs, and in general when talking about the entire line of CPUs, Intels do offer "slightly" better performance while consuming a little less power and generating a little less heat, AMDs form perfectly capable gaming platforms too. And it is actually at the price points where AMDs excel.

Note that gaming performance is determined by MUCH more than just the CPU. The motherboard plays a significant role, as does the RAM, drives, and especially the graphics solution - components which are independent of the brand of CPU.