Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Run Anti-Virus; Chrome won't open; IE won't open; P

• Please log in to reply

lefthooklacey

lefthooklacey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer started running slower about a week ago. I noticed it was starting to take longer to open and close any windows. Now all web browsers have quit working. MY antivrus won't run a scan although I contstantly get error messages saying I need to run a scan. I can't print anything because my printer and all settings have been erased. When I try to add the printer back it says no printers are found. Here is a detailed list of problems and what I have done so far.

--I have security risk icons in the task tray from my McAfee security center.
1.) One error says my secruity center is turned off. When I click to turn it on I get an error message saying it can't be turned on.
2.) I have another error saying that "Real Time Scanning is off" and if I click to turn it back on, it stays on for about 2 seconds then it turns itself back off.

--Internet Problems
1.) If I click on the Google Chrome Icon, it acts as if its loading for about 3 seconds, then nothing happens. Nothing opens.
2.) If I click on the IE icon, it opens a blank IE window with no words or address in the address bar and will do nothing else.

I can only get online in Safe mode with networking.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR:

I did run a scan with McaFee a few days ago when I still could and it found nothing.
I ran a scan with Spybot S & D and it found a few things to fix but they were listed as tracking cookies and nothing looked out of the ordinary for what it usually finds. I do not have a log.

I have ran the OTL quick scan as per this site's instruction and have the log in notepad.

POSSIBLE INFECTION POINT:

THe only thing I have done out of the ordinary lately is I downloaded a free zip file open software because my winzip subscription ran out. I downloaded the program and could never find it and couldn't open zip files. I ended up having to go with a competely different zip file software. THis could be totally unrelated but the problems I see started after that day, and have gotten worse everyday.

My system specs are in my profile, but I can re-list everything if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements