Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu overheating

• Please log in to reply

Fatie32

Fatie32

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay first things first hard drive seems to have something wrong also....cpu seems to be over heating or well thats what me and essex came too in this topic http://www.geekstogo...48#entry2132348

there is a ventilation system that runs to the rear fan that rear fan doesnt run in windows but runs in bios....its strange

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Fatie32...

I looked through your topic with essexboy and agree that you have a hardware issue with the CPU. At this point, it's pretty tough to tell just what IS causing the problem, but it could be:
  • The CPU fan is not running or is not running correctly.
  • The CPU cooler is clogged with dust.
  • The thermal bond between the CPU and CPU cooler has been broken.
  • The CPU capacitors are failing or have failed. (Images of bad caps)
Look at the capacitors that sit nearest the CPU. If the tops or sides are bulging or they appear to have been leaking, that is likely the problem.

Look at the CPU cooler. If it is full of dust and fluff, cleaning it using canned air may help the problem.

Look at the CPU fan with the machine running. Does it run steadily and at a fairly rapid rate?

wannabe1

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
http://tinypic.com/r/3476y4h/5 capacitors.

dust free took a vacuum to it didn't have canned air.

runs fine. im thinking it needs new thermal paste but i cant get the [bleep]ing cpu fan off its a [bleep]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The caps look good, though the CPU cooler looks pretty dusty.

The clip that holds the CPU cooler on should have a sleeve thing on one side that you can fit a regular screwdriver tip into...probably the side with the least clearance near the power supply. Use a screwdriver to push down and out slightly (towards the power supply) and it should release the cooler from the socket.

Work carefully and be sure to touch a metal part of the case to discharge any static before rummaging around in there too much.

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ya i tried that earlier i couldnt get it to come up...ill try again in here in a bit

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ya i cant get this fan off its impossible there isnt enough room to bend it forward..the fan just moves when i do it..id have to break it too get it off lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Somebody got it on there... :P

Would it help to remove the fan from the cooler? Just the four cross point screws hold it in place.

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
tried doing that nothing i [bleep]ing felt like i was gonna snap the [bleep]ing board in half...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a bit of help if I may. Are you pushing down on the clip before trying to pull it out?
Most of the older type clips are shaped like a hook so the metal piece needs to be pushed down and out to release.

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yep pushing down and out it comes like right to the edge of it but wont go any farther

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is normal for that type of clamping system. I always used a small pair of needle nose pliers to pull down and out. That way I could get enough grip without breaking it.

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
where did you grip with the needle nose?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go from the side and right above the opening in the metal clip where it bends back. That should give you enough to force it down and then out to clear the plastic clip.

Fatie32

Fatie32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
hahaha i got it!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good job! (thanks Ron)

Now you just need to clean all the old thermal compound off both the cooler and the processor being careful not to scratch either of the mating surfaces. When reapplying the compound, don't use too much...you really need just a very thin layer on the processor.

You really should consider getting a can of air to clean the CPU cooler a little better...and really use it on the power supply. In the picture it looks like it's plumb full of fluff. It needs to breath, too.