Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after cleaning hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

wends10136

wends10136

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I cleaned my hard drive and now I am having problems getting connected to the internet. I use windows xp. It also seems like I wasnt able to reload my back ups properly either. Does any one have any ideas? Thanks!!

Edited by wends10136, 13 March 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

A few more details are required please.

1. Make and FULL model if a branded computer eg Dell HP etc

2. What do you mean please by "I cleaned my hard drive" - HOW

3. When please did you do this

4. As you mention "load backups" - does that indicate that the cleaning of the hard drive, was in fact a repair or reinstall of XP

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a gateway FPD1730

I did this on March 7th
I tried to back everything up with a jump drive
Then I reloaded the operating system disk and I did not
choose repair but replace or reinstallwhen trying to install the OS.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That model number you have provided comes back from the Gateway site as a monitor.
Do you have the drivers and applications CD

Is the network connection hard wired from the connection on the I/O plate at the rear of the computer or a wireless connection from a USB adaptor.

Is the computer a desktop or a laptop.

If you do not have the drivers CD then go to the Gateway site find your computer and download the chipset driver first and then the LAN, wirless if there, the graphics and the audio.

Gateway link
http://www.gateway.com/worldwide/

You will of course need to download these on another computer and then copy them to this one
AS SOON AS you do get that GATEWAY on the net do not forget an anti-virus. Otherwise you are at risk.
NB I am signing off back at 1800hrs

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks so much for your help. Its a gateway 700 desktop. I also have wireless. I will look for my driver cd and/or try these downloads. Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
wends10136

It is now some 8 days since we heard from you.
I was wondering how you went on.

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got my email and internet working. I found the disks and downloaded them. I am still having problems reloading all the info I backed up before I started this process. But my system overall seems to be working much better now. If you have any ideas for me that would be great. Thanks so much!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you put the disc in and open the disc can you see your docs, images and audio files etc.
If the backup is on a disc or a flash pen.

Was it a backup using XP backup or some other program or simply a copy and paste

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes i used xp before I cleaned the hard drive. It looked like it downloaded everything to the computer but when I went to look I couldn't find anything.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

It looked like it downloaded everything to the computer but when I went to look I couldn't find anything.

SO TO WHERE did you back up your data? please

Advertisements

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
On a jump drive

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So have you done this then - or is it still on the JUMP drive and what is that please

It looked like it downloaded everything to the computer

and can the data be read on another computer

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the jump drive is a usb plug that has memory and holds data like a disk would. I tried to open it on another computer. It is one big backup file and i didnt get it to open.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard? If you did, it will be a .mig file and you have to use Easy Transfer to restore the file it created for you.

As the Easy Transfer Wizard is not a part of XP, it will have to be installed. It can be downloaded HERE.

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
If its not part of xp then I probably didnt use it. I used the xp installation disk and went to Valueadd\msft\ntbackup to do the back up. Can I still use this download or do you have another idea? Thanks so much!!