Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

after cleaning hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try THIS Download instead. (direct download) See if it doesn't restore that file.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you used XP`s backup utility rather than simply copying your personal data to the usb flash drive, then go again to XP backup and restore on Start, programs, accessories, system tools, backup
This time with the flash drive inserted, see if restore, choosing the drive, if it is recognised will find any files.

In the restore wizard CHOOSE advanced mode you should then if the backup.bkf file is recognised be able to open it and select what you wish.

DO NOT restore the whole backup file. YOU will have serious problems if you backed up system files etc,

ALSO do not choose original location.

Did you ever verify the backup.

What on properties, right click the flash drive is the nature of the file.

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Why shouldn't i chose "original location?" I think I already did that. Is that why I cant find any of my files?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So could you please clarify that you have XP Home.

On that backup and restore is not included by default, but can be installed

You then backed up using the XP backup utility to a flash drive.

You then used the XP CD (or the Dell XP CD reinstallation disc) to reinstall Windows.

Therefore am I correct in presuming that all your original data from C Drive was lost, as the partition was formatted,.

Now you are trying to restore you backed up data to your newly installed Windows.

Am I correct please.

If so, depending on what backup you chose, either advanced backup and only backed up your personal data, or the FULL backup, determines how you must restore if you can.

YOU CANNOT restore a full backup from a previous installa\tion to a new installation.
That is why you must NOT choose the original location even if it would allow you to do so.

ALSO have you seen please the post from my colleague Wannabe1.

and finally when you say

I think I already did that.

what please happened - did they restore or did you receive an error message etc.

wends10136

wends10136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes you are correct. I tried several times to reinstall or restore the backup. So I think I have chosen (in the advance mode)to restore to the original location. But when I look for the stuff its not there. Even though the computer looked like it was downloading my files from the baked up drive to my computer. I did not try the download from your colleague yet but I will.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
wnds10136
It is now some eight (8) days since you last posted
Are you able to update us as to progress please