Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer/VBS Script problems and errors

• Please log in to reply

luvpats

luvpats

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello-

I am very frustrated right now. I have tried everything to fix these problems. I get the following error every time I try and execute any type of .vbs script:

Line: 2
Char: 1
Error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
Code: 80070422
Source: (null)

Also I cannot access Windows Explorer from the Desktop. If I click on My Documents or if I click on My Computer my entire computer freezes. I have to go into Task Manager and end and then start explorer.exe. Earlier today I could not access the Windows Installer. I was able to fix that problem but it is still a mystery to me why I could not access it. I think all of these problems are intertwined with each other.

The weird thing is that the computer works great except for these problems. In fact, the computer has been booting a lot faster recently. The issues I am having now are not affecting any other important functions, except the functions I am having difficulty with.

I have tried every fix imaginable, except for the one that works. I would like to try and fix Windows Explorer first. But I am at a loss as to what to do next except to start over and I don't really want to do that. I don't have enough money to buy Windows 7.

I don't know what it means that the VBS script engine cannot be started. Is that a registry problem?

It seems the real problem is associated with Windows Explorer.

If anyone can be of help I would really appreciate it because I am going crazy trying to figure out how to solve the issues. If I can just get Windows Explorer to function I will be happy.

Oh I did download xplorer2 and the same problems happen. I cannot open it from either My Computer or from My Documents on the desktop and any .vbs scripts that I have stored on the drives will not run either.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello again, we have worked together before.

1.Hiope you are recovered from your ill-health.

2. Please do not think I am being in any way unhelpful. If I did not want to help, I would not have replied to your post, however on previous topics you have asked about using
certain features found on windows vista and indeed 7 on XP, and I remember advising you that

Well use the link then.
Best wishes for the recovery.
Hope you get it sorted.
Personally, I would say, leave it as Microsoft designed XP.
All tweaks and additions, simply serve when added together, to make recovery in the event of failure, less certain than it is to start with.

3. Ignoring for the time being the error on the script engine which is very probably related to VBSScript.dll in the Windows/System32 folder, my first advice would be to start with a chkdsk /r on C: Drive either from a cmd prompt or from the GUI of My Computer - right click C drive, properties and Tools and then Error Checking. If you use the GUI click to check both boxes.

I would follow this with a System file check on Start, run and type
sfc /scannow
If it asks for the CD and you have the CD with SP3 incorporated -
either originally - which I doubt if you are on the same computer as on previous threads or on a slipstreamed SP3, then insert it.

4. When you have done that please send me the results of this
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)
OR YOU MAY RUN THE TEST ANON see the note on the page

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine. AND Please do NOT run any other tests suggested by Pitstop.

5. Downloading Xplorer2 in an attempt to solve a problem with Windows Explorer is, with respect, not the way forward
YOU should NEVER install any such programs when the problem is with such a basic element of Windows.

luvpats

luvpats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thank you for your input but I have decided to just wait until I can afford W7. The problem isn't affecting any other system issues. Everything else is working just fine. I did get Windows Explorer to open from the Desktop. So I just now have a .vbs error. I can live with that.

Thank you again. I think the problem is just a registry error of some sort. If I knew which key it was I would fix it but I don't know. Something is blocking the script from running. I just don't know where to look in the registry to fix it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well that was not the way I interpreted the problems

Also I cannot access Windows Explorer from the Desktop. If I click on My Documents or if I click on My Computer my entire computer freezes. I have to go into Task Manager and end and then start explorer.exe. Earlier today I could not access the Windows Installer. I was able to fix that problem but it is still a mystery to me why I could not access it. I think all of these problems are intertwined with each other

and of course until you replied

I did get Windows Explorer to open from the Desktop

I could only respond on the information you provided.

Run the system file check
Go windows, system 32, folder
check that you have the file
VBScript.dll
Go start
run and type
regsvr32 c:\Windows\System32\VBScript.dll